Earth Bonding underfloor stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question about main earth bonding to the water supply. My house has no bonding to the main water supply and has had a kitchen extension 30 years ago. The orignal stop cock has been kept in the old part of the kitchen which is now the dinning room and put under the floorboards to save space and the sink moved to the new part of the extension. Would it be Ok to use 10mm earth cable and bond it to the original stoptap as it is acessable uindr a floorboard, as the main water supply pipe enters the house here. If I was to bond it under the sink/biehind the washing machine it would be more than 60mm and there would be several "tees" going upstairs etc?

Sponsored Links
Providing it is easily accessible yes and the requirements are bond where practicable, it does not have to be 600mm. But if not 600mm should be noted on electrical certificate where the bond is connected.

suppose i decided to add another stopcock under the kithen sink as the main tap to the house, could I bond both taps together using crimp connectors as an exstension piece and for extra protection?

Sponsored Links
I said that I do but it is under a floorboard. I suppose it depends what people mean by "accessible" If you built a hatch around it, then I suppose it would be.

suppose i decided to add another stopcock under the kithen sink as the main tap to the house, could I bond both taps together using crimp connectors as an exstension piece and for extra protection?
You have to bond the pipe - if extraneous - where it enters the premises (or where practical).
The taps (stop-cocks) have nothing to do with it and do not need to be bonded together.

Just bond at the sink location, seems the most practicable place to make the connection.
Where is the MET in relationship to the pipe work?

Where is the MET in relationship to the pipe work?

Right at the other end of the house under the stairs, The water main acutally passes the consumer unit but under the floorboards before it make its way to the kitchen, does it need to be bonded here, as this is where it enters the property, otherwise I will need to buy 15m of 10mm earthing cable to go all the way to the other end of the house.

If it enters the property at that point and is easily accessible for inspection, testing and remedial work.
That is the best place for it.
If that means having to put a trap in the floor, is that more practical than running the cable 15m?

If a trap or small hatch can be made for access, seems to be a logical location. It would need be documented where the bond was located and left accessible.

I have another question, I have decided to earth bond under the kitchen sink as the earth clamp would be more visible. The only problem is that the floor changes from the old kitchen with a timber floo,r to a solid concrete floor half way down the galley kitchen, therefore the earth cable would need to take one of the following routes

Route 1

Up through the wooden floor, up past the skirting board up and over an external door then back down the wall again, then accross the skirting board to the adjadent kitchen sink

route 2

when the concrete floor starts the cable will be chased into the floor screed passing the external door then directly up to the kitchen sink

If I go for option one would the same safe zones apply as normal twin and earth as i would want it buried in the plaster but no one would obviously know there is an earth cable there, also if it was outside the safe zone would metal conduit be needed.

if I was to choose option 2 how deep into the concrete would I need to go and would I need some sort of conduit for this? Dont want ugly cables on the outside of the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back