Earth Bonding

31 Mar 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom

As part of my consumer unit upgrade i need to provide a bond to the water and gas, neither of which are there at the moment.

gas is easy the meter is in the garage but the water stoptap and meter are outside under a small manhole, the incoming water pipe then goes under the concrete floor and (i presume) under the kitchen but its a good 3-4 meters before it emerges!

Where would i bond this water supply? somehow outside near the incoming pipe & stoptap or where it actually emerges into the house?

Sponsored Links
Regulation 547-02-02 states 'The main equipotential bonding connection to any gas, water or other service shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry of that service into the premises. Where there is an insulating section / insert at that point, or a meter, the connection shall be made to the consumer's hard metal pipework and before any branch pipework. Where practicable the connection shall be made within 500mm of the meter outlet union or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links