earth bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in the shower unit / pull switch and /light switch etc where do you connect the earth from the copper pipework.
does it connect to the earth terminals
I am not doing this job but i am curious as to how it works

Sponsored Links
I don't wish to sound obtuse, but which terminal do you think it should be attached to?

How it works? Equipotential bonding is applied in a bathroom to keep all exposed metalwork and earth conductors at the same potential (voltage) - hopefully zero. Then if you touch the shower and the radiator at the same time, for example, there is no chance of a shock by current travelling through yourself. If, for example, the radiator weren't bonded and there was a floating voltage on it, and you touched it and the bath taps which are earthed, you would be acting as the earth conductor, which is a bad thing - it hurts.

If a fault does occur, making any metalwork live, it has a safe route back to earth through the lighting earth and the shower's earth, and probably a main bonding conductor too. This easy route to earth makes a large current flow and trips the MCB / fuse of whatever is causing the fault.

Thats the basic principle how i understand it anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back