Earth Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"Before connecting the earth bonding strap to a pipe, what must be done to ensure a good low resistance elctrical connection?"

Help been through regs. and my college books can't find an answer

Sponsored Links
Remove any corrosion from the contact area - some wire wool should do the trick. If the copper is shiny you're good to go.

cheers. I suppose if they are being choosy I should say that the pipe should be dry as well?

And obviously not connected to a joint?

You can also check the resistance of the bonding conductor using the wandering lead method.

Sponsored Links
IIRC you are not supposed to clamp to lead pipes, so check what material the pipe is made of.

What about bonding to bathroom radiator, old style column rad, do i need to remove some enamel to find bare metal or can i bond to one of the valves Thanks

securespark said:
But what if lead's all you got??

Refuse to bond?

I think you are supposed to sweat an earth wire on.

If you used an EC15 to try and get a reliable connection the clamp will need tightning up to the point where it may crush the pipe (with lead being softer stuff than copper)

What about bonding to bathroom radiator, old style column rad, do i need to remove some enamel to find bare metal or can i bond to one of the valves Thanks

You should really have started your own tread to avoid confusion.

If the rad tails are copper, then bonding there is fine. I wouldn't advise clamping to the valve, or you could just remove sufficient enammel to bond to on the rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back