earth leakage clamp testers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys....just bought an Earth Leakage clamp tester. Gotta be honest it is an amazing bit of kit...it cost me 115 quid from Alphatek and thats including VAT
I aint used one before but this means I can find residual currents without isolating power

The one I bought has a resolution down to 100 micro amps. although there are more expensive devices which will measure down to 1 microamp
Just wondering if anyone has used these before and what their experiences are

These actually measure the residual current in normal working conditions unlike an insulation test which zaps 500 volts across the circuit

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Depends what kind of work you're doing, I considered buying one when they were four times that price but I can't see one being all that much use in a domestic setting.

Invaluable for industrial or heavy commercial sparks though, I take it that is what you do jujubean?

Sponsored Links
post us a link juju i always enjoy looking at workmans tools...fnar fnar
:mad:
:?: hehhe i aint showing anyone on this board "my tool" dear oh dear
Actually its an Alphatek meter....These seem to be a lot cheaper than say Robin or Fluke.
I have found it quick and useful in domestic work...eg... before changing an old consumer unit ...just clamp these on the tails and see what you can expect when installing an RCD. obviously circuits need to be tested before changing But the resolution is very low ...(down to 100 microamps)...and as I said no need to isolate the supply
If everyone on this board bought one then Alphatek promised me a holiday
so get spending you stingey buggers :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back