Earth Leakage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just idle curiosity. . . . . On my electric distribution board there is a switch called earth leakage

On / off and what looks like a reset button.

Whats that do then??

Sponsored Links
it is intended to cut the power if there is a fault which results in current flowing to earth.

common causes are: water leak onto electrical parts, e.g. kettle, boiler, shower

damaged cable, e.g. lawnmower cuts it

person pokes knife into toaster and gets a shock

post a photo and we can tell you more. some old types are not considered safe.

it should be tested every few months or it is much more likely to stick and fail to work in an emergency.

Thats an Residual Current Device. Its purpose is to detect an inbalance between phase and neutral conductors and to disconnect the supply in the event that it finds one. An inbalance shows that current is flowing from the phase conductor but not all of it is returning via the neutral, hence some must be flowing to earth somewhere.

The 'reset' button is actually a test button - this tests the mechanical working of the device and should be operated atleast quarterly. You should have a label affixed somewhere nearby that states this.

John / Davy

Thanks for your quick response.

Thats satisfied my 'learn something new everyday' requirement

As I said, it was just idle curiosity, have never had a problem with it but tis nice to know

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
It may turn out to be more useful than that - what does it actually say on the device? Can you post a photo?

i second that, from your use of the words "earth leakage" it may be an ELCB rather than an RCD which if i understand they dont work very well (ie unsafe) and if you have one it is likely you have a TT earthing arrangement (through an earth rod) so if it is an ELCB it may be time to replace it with an RCD.

(a lot of ifs and buts in there but hopefully you see why it would be good to post a picture)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back