Earth Not required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

i am fitting some new downlighters in my bathroom and they require no earth, just live and neutral.

Problem is i have twin and earth cable. Is it possible for me to just terminate the earth at each light using those plastic blocks (can't remember their official name) if i wire them all through a junction box.

any help and advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes.

And you won't forget to notify LABC before you start this work, will you...

excuse my ignorance but why would i need to notify LABC before fitting some downlighters :confused:

if thats the case then does that mean i would have to notify LABC before i carried out any type of DIY in my home?

Under new regulations the bathroom is regarded as a 'special location'.
The downlights contribute to a change in the circuit rather than just changing a light fitting.
This means according to the book LABC need to be informed and they need to be tested by a 'competent person' and an installation certificate issued.

Do you know about Part P of the building regulations that came into force this year? Maybe you need to read it before attempting any further electrical DIY.

Please tell me you are fitting low voltage downlighters and not mains voltage in the bathroom.

To answer your question the earth is best put into a terminal block. If you are looping the lights then the two earths are best blocked together. And don't forget to put some earth shield over the bare wires.

Sponsored Links
So you really didn't know about any of that?

And the place you bought the downlighters didn't warn you?

I knew there had been some changes in regulations but didn't realise it was such a big thing to change to downlighters from a single static fitted light.

As i'm only a DIYer and not a qualified electrician i just bought a set of lights at a local DIY centre, suitable for bathroom use, checked that before i purchased them....perhaps its time to take them back and just change the style of light rather than putting downlighters in :LOL: much less trouble :)

yanster said:
perhaps its time to take them back and just change the style of light rather than putting downlighters in :LOL: much less trouble :)

It's still should be notified to building control, mate, its electrical work in the bathroom, it should be notified no matter what kind of light you want to fit, don't you just love two jags prescott :evil: :evil:

question to ban: 'technically' is changing a burnt out lamp in a bathroom fitting notifiable? :?: , wouldn't supprise me if they had cocked up the whole thing, and it is, and as you are the person who has spent the most time on the forum reading the ins and outs of the rules, I guess you're the one to ask :D

Changing a lamp is not notifiable, not by any stretch of interpretation.

Nor is replacing a switch, or socket outlet, or ceiling rose.

But adding light fittings to an existing circuit in a bathroom is, except I'd forgotten the small print :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: - it is notifiable if it is within Zones 1 - 3, outside the Zones, which is where a lot of the ceiling is, is not notifiable.

So having alarmed yanster possibly unnecessarily :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: - see here http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/NL139supp.pdf for a good diagram of bathroom zones.

Nor is replacing a switch, or socket outlet, or ceiling rose.

So how do i stand if i just remove the original light in the centre of the room and replace it with another light? surely thats not notifiable as its no different to replacing a ceiling rose :/ is it?

simples not simple anymore :(

sorry Yanst, I couldn't resist that.
Seriously you are in the position we have been debating for some time.
The part P fiasco makes confusion at every turn.

I could say do it anyway and to h*ll with the rules, but that would be irresponsible. If you had done this last December it wouldn't apply. ;)

:LOL: don't tell the wife that....it'll just back up her theory about me taking too long to get round to things :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back