GU10 Downlights earth connection

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just been repairing a GU10 downlight at home. The fitting is not earthed. There seems to be no means of connecting an earth to the light. The twin and earth cable terminates into a plastic cover that is screwed to the top of the fitting and the earth is in a connector block.

Surely the light requires earthing or am I missing something.

Any views appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Probably double insulated.

Can you see a symbol of a square with a smaller square inside it?

No there is no double inulated sticker. The only sticker is a L N sticker. I dont think it is double insulated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have just been repairing a GU10 downlight at home. The fitting is not earthed. There seems to be no means of connecting an earth to the light. The twin and earth cable terminates into a plastic cover that is screwed to the top of the fitting and the earth is in a connector block.

Surely the light requires earthing or am I missing something.

Any views appreciated.

They surprised me too

Even though the singles touch the metal frame above the lamp holder they are still class 2 :confused:

I saw some similar to that yesterday.

The fitting was Class II, but the lampholder leads went through an unprotected hole in the steel case, into a terminal block marked with the squares symbol & "earth connection facility".

This was just a choc block for ensuring earth continuity round the circuit or somewhere to park the cpc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back