earth question?? am i safe?

arcintl";p="795921 said:
multiple ends on 5a - would this not be the lighting ring?

Lighting is not normally fed as a ring, normally a radial. It is quite possible that the two cables are just going in different directions.

--------------------

this may be radial then as the lighting is on different floors (4 in total)
also there is an outside light should that be independant?

outside light can be taken of a normal lighting circuit.i know the right hand 5amp mcb says lighting and doorbell so thats that accounted for the other one says lighting but cant see anymore writing either way they are both wrong.what do those 30amp breakers do

Sponsored Links
forget that last question.blonde moment :oops:

four pages,bet you wished you hadnt asked now!

forget that last question.blonde moment :oops:

four pages,bet you wished you hadnt asked now!

no im quite pleased there are people out there willing to give advice. every little helps (tesco please dont sue im skint)

end of the day i just want the electrics to be as safe as they can be for me and my family

Sponsored Links
I wonder if next door still have a main earth now, that your service head has been replaced, as your DNO did not care about your lack of main earth, so I wonder if the lead seath of the supply cable is still connected to next doors main earth.

I wonder if next door still have a main earth now, that your service head has been replaced, as your DNO did not care about your lack of main earth, so I wonder if the lead seath of the supply cable is still connected to next doors main earth.

we're they ever earthed is the question, look at this pic: http://www.arcintl.force9.co.uk/elec/40.jpg

before it was just those two braided cables going to next door via a fuse in my house and now they have changed it (see http://www.arcintl.force9.co.uk/elec/7.jpg )

It doesn't look like there has ever been an earth connection. Is your electrician still coming tomorrow?

So by the look of it you & next door may have never been earthed, Very unsafe.

Well at least it is a bit safer now that the old VIR tails to next door are gone.

The best thing to do may be to have an earth rod fitted outside, & have a new spilt-load cu fitted with a 100mA Time Delayed RCD fitted in the new cu as the main switch, with a 30mA RCD for the sockets etc, This would then be classed as a TT supply

So then the things that do not need to be RCDed (i.e. Lights) go on the 100mA Time Delayed RCD, & the things which do need RCDing (i.e. Sockets) go on the 30mA RCD.

So by the look of it you & next door may have never been earthed, Very unsafe.

Well at least it is a bit safer now that the old VIR tails to next door are gone.

The best thing to do may be to have an earth rod fitted outside, & have a new spilt-load cu fitted with a 100mA Time Delayed RCD fitted in the new cu as the main switch, with a 30mA RCD for the sockets etc, This would then be classed as a TT supply

So then the things that do not need to be RCDed (i.e. Lights) go on the 100mA Time Delayed RCD, & the things which do need RCDing (i.e. Sockets) go on the 30mA RCD.

unfortunately cause its a rented property we have no say in what we get, but we are due for a CU upgrade with a split load on with. i will ask the sparky about the earth while he's here

unfortunately cause its a rented property we have no say in what we get, but we are due for a CU upgrade with a split load on with. i will ask the sparky about the earth while he's here

Even if it is a rented property the landlord should make sure that the property has a main earth connection, as he is meant to have the electrics inspeated every so often, so the lack of main earth connection should have been picked up on the last PIR that the landlord had done.

Even if it is a rented property the landlord should make sure that the property has a main earth connection, as he is meant to have the electrics inspeated every so often, so the lack of main earth connection should have been picked up on the last PIR that the landlord had done.

how often is a PIR required?

The IEE advise that domestic installations are inspected and tested every 10 years, in addition they advise that this also happens at change of tennacy or use

ok so here's the update:

sparky came today and i told him bout the earth, he was unsure why they disconnected it from the water main but he said he would reconnect (which he almost forget untill i mentioned it as i was showing him the door)

he's done all the sup bonding on the pips for the boiler and hard wired it all into the electrics. and told me i need to speak to the electric supplier about the earth so i will be making a call to them today.

Updated pics (if your interested)

http://www.arcintl.force9.co.uk/elec/41.jpg
http://www.arcintl.force9.co.uk/elec/42.jpg

i also have my energy supplier comming to fit an isolator for me too next week (free) and the DNO are going to look at the earth but because there service is free it can take up to 12 weeks

41.jpg
Where does that cable go?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back