Earth spike for outbuilding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day,

I have an outbuilding about 25m from my CU with no electricity supply.
I'm in the process of having my electrics updated including the earth (which doesn't appear to exist).
Everything will be new and up to 17 edition. BC will be notified before I start.
As part of the notice I will include power to this outbuilding wired into the new CU.
I'm going to run an armoured cable, and was thinking... :confused:

Am I better off running a 3 core 4mm with earth, or a 2 core 4mm and installing a separate CU in the outbuilding and an earth spike?

I've also found someone who can move my cut out and meter from indoors to outdoors in a box. He has quoted half the price that UKPowerNetworks quoted.. He's a Murpheys contractor who can also move my gas meter outside, now there’s a thought...

Sponsored Links
Lloyds Register said:
J Murphy and Sons Ltd
Hide Scopes

Scheme:National Electricity RegistrationScope:
Cable Laying ( LV, 11kV, 33kV, 66kV, 132kV ) Full Approval
Jointing ( 11kV, 33kV, 66kV, 132kV ) Partial Approval
Electrical Design of Distribution Networks Covering ( HV Cable Networks 33kV, HV Cable Networks 132kV, HV Cable Networks 11kV )
Areas:East Anglia, Midlands, National, North East, North West, Scotland, South East, South West, Wales
So not even partial approved for jointing on LV ( 230 volts ) It is in your best interests to confirm with the DNO that this contractor is approved for the task of moving a cut out. They may not be approved for jointing on Live cables

I've also found someone who can move my cut out and meter from indoors to outdoors in a box. He has quoted half the price that UKPowerNetworks quoted.. He's a Murpheys contractor who can also move my gas meter outside, now there’s a thought...

That sounds suspiciously like someone is doing a foreigner, be very careful.

We had a similar case, the customer found himself without power and facing criminal charges for accessory to theft as all the kit used had been stolen from the DNO by this guy he had met in a pub that could do a cheap job.As well as charges for illegal abstraction of electricity due to the meter having been removed

He's a neighbour of a trusted work colleague, he says he's contracted to do it all the time.
Maybe I should check him out? Can't imagine someone taking on a job like that without the relevant qualifications? He is coming round to look at it, I'll ask him (politely) then.

Regarding the original question, 2 core and spike, or 3 core carrying earth from CU?

Thanks. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Basically a service alteration is non-contestable work meaning only the DNO can do it, so have to be involved.

It might be that they use a contractor (your friend of a friend) to do this but that contractor is working for the DNO

Any attempt by that contractor or an employee of theirs to do the work on their own behalf is not permitted.

http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in.../documents/Did_you_know_you_have_a_choice.pdf
explaines a lot of it.
I doubt that the person involved is an ICP

Note that on page 2 design and alteration to our existing network, can ONLY be done by the DNO

Basically a service alteration is non-contestable work meaning only the DNO can do it, so have to be involved.

It might be that they use a contractor (your friend of a friend) to do this but that contractor is working for the DNO

Any attempt by that contractor or an employee of theirs to do the work on their own behalf is not permitted.

http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in.../documents/Did_you_know_you_have_a_choice.pdf
explains a lot of it.
I doubt that the person involved is an ICP

http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...eed to move your underground power supply.pdf

I've just spoken to ukpowernetworks, and was advised that j.murphey Ltd. as a business are allowed to do this job, providing its done through their business and not done as a private job by the individual. The business is on the Lloyds register. I will ask the guy when he comes to look at the job. Thanks for the replies.

Anyway, my shed, 2 core or 3 core?
Thanks in advance.

Anyway, my shed, 2 core or 3 core?
Thanks in advance.
Why not ask your "expert" for his advice on this matter when he calls to "look at" moving the cut out and meter for you. Whether you export the earth ( 3 core ) or use a ground rod ( 2 core ) will depend on the local situation and the type of earth provided in the house.

He's not my "expert", don't know the bloke from Adam, which is why I'm asking questions. I will ask his advice on my shed. Just thought some of the "experts" on here might shed some light (excuse the pun).

I will ask his advice on my shed.
If he's a cable jointer he might not have a clue - different area of expertise.

I'm in the process of having my electrics updated including the earth (which doesn't appear to exist).
Everything will be new and up to 17 edition. BC will be notified before I start.
As part of the notice I will include power to this outbuilding wired into the new CU.
The expert you need to ask is the one doing the design for this work.

I will ask his advice on my shed.
If he's a cable jointer he might not have a clue - different area of expertise.

That's what I thought too.

The expert you need to ask is the one doing the design for this work.

Not sure I understand, what's there to "design" about burrying an armoured cable between my house and shed? Cheers.

Not sure I understand, what's there to "design" about burrying an armoured cable between my house and shed? Cheers.
That lack of understanding makes it clear you are not able to manage this project. Thinking you can get a friend of a trusted colleague to move your cut out to avoid paying the DNO shows how incredible ignorant you are. ( ignorant = lack of essential knowledge )

Size, taking account of all the factors which affect that, whether to export the supply earth or not...

But I meant the person who is doing the design for the rest of the electrical work.

I guess that would be the electrician who's going to connect it all up. All I will be doing is the dirty work. Chasing walls, fitting back boxes and running and fixing cables. I will have someone in to fit a New cu and terminate all the sockets etc.

thanks all for the replies.
I'm going to leave this thread now, cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back