Outbuilding earths

Sponsored Links
No, whilst my legs still work I`ll get my beer from the house - or from the pub,,,,,nope can`t do that now its closed down...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the help so far.

I have checked the connection at the house wall, and after digging out stray lumps of plaster & render I can now see that the exiting armoured cable leaves through a threaded connector at the side of the metal box then through the wall. Is it a fair assumption that the cable has been earthed correctly.........and earth spikes will not be required in the outbuildings?

You really ought to do a continuity test to confirm. Do you have access to a multi meter?

Best still would be get an electrician to do an EFLI test on the cable to confirm things, but possibly not easy for you to arrange.

As for the joint, I personally would never bury any joint except for a resin filled one. I've had to dig out and replace probably every other type of joint after it has failed.

Yes, I`ll do a continuity test and thanks for confirming that a resin joint would be best in this situation

I just propose testing the continuity of the house earthing and the armouring of the SWA.

For what it's worth I would do away with the short SWA and the required joint & put in a new piece. The advantage of this is that you can size the cable for any future expansion.

Yeah, I very much agree that a new cable would be best, but.......it goes under existing hard landscaping etc.; which I really don`t want to disturb. Luckily the garden is not huge and further external wiring requirements are very unlikely, so using this existing cable is very much the preferred outcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back