Earth Supply Question

'why not?'.

To which I'd answer "Honestly no idea" The CoP we use is mainly pre-privatisation when the leccy board was very cautious!
Given evidence that other DNO's do this (if your DNO does tell us on here, please) I can raise it with the appropriate people. If for no other reason it could save us a lot of money :)

Or is it that the examples we see are a temporary fix that never gets a permanent repair and possibly unapproved?

Sponsored Links
'why not?'.

To which I'd answer "Honestly no idea" The CoP we use is mainly pre-privatisation when the leccy board was very cautious!
Given evidence that other DNO's do this (if your DNO does tell us on here, please) I can raise it with the appropriate people. If for no other reason it could save us a lot of money :) Or is it that the examples we see are a temporary fix that never gets a permanent repair and possibly unapproved?
Two thoughts. First the one I mentioned previously - that by the time the electrical integrity of the sheath is compromised, there surely must be some mechanical breaches that will allow water ingress. Secondly, given that we're presumably talking about old TN-S cables (with limited further life expectancy), they will presumably not have been PMEd - so, by the time one has gone digging to do the PMEing, one might just as well put in new cable?

Kind Regards, John.

The risk of unfound damage that could become another fault is always the problem!

It might be this along with concern over cable size and fault current passage.

talking about old TN-S cables (with limited further life expectancy),

I would challenge that, we are not finding lead sheathed cables that would generally need replacing, in fact they are often in as new condition!

There are certainly no plans that I am aware of to replace them

talking about old TN-S cables (with limited further life expectancy),
I would challenge that, we are not finding lead sheathed cables that would generally need replacing, in fact they are often in as new condition!
Maybe that's true in general, but what about the context? We're talking about a cable whose lead sheath has already failed, certainly electrically and (I would have thought) possibly/probably also mechanically - would you really say that still has a long service life ahead of it?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
would you really say that still has a long service life ahead of it?

It would depend on a number of factors, there are older joint designs that have lost continuity on the lead sheath of the service cable but are still watertight!

There are somany weird and wonderful bits on the system, virtually every situation is a one off

It would depend on a number of factors, there are older joint designs that have lost continuity on the lead sheath of the service cable but are still watertight!
Maybe I don't understand enough about the construction of PILC cables. I thought that the lead was the only significant barrier to water. If that were the case, if it has lost electrical continuity, there surely must be a path for water ingress (unless sealed with mud, I suppose :)).

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back