Earth trips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!!

I have bought a new house and since I have lived there the earth trip keeps going on the fuse box. Ther is no pattern to when it goesand no reason why it should - nothing is switched on to make it trip. It even trip when nobody is there.

Another strange thin is that you can switch all the fuses off but leave the main power switch on and after resetting it will continue to trip.

It usually trips once a day and will continue to trip after being reset three or four times ion a few minutes then it stops.

What could be the problem and how do I solve it?

Any help greatly appreciated

Andrew299 :mad:

Sponsored Links
If every thing is off and it still trips it may be a faulty rcd, that said it may be an earth to neutral fault, best get an electrcian in to test it

Thing is it was meant to have been tested last April before we moved in so would these things have been picked up when the main box was tested? :confused:

Bit like an MOT it is only ok at the time of testing.

I have my own problem with an rcd tripping, most of the time it is fine, only on certain conditions does it trip, but i found theproblem and have removed it (well i am going to in about 15 mins)

Sponsored Links
If the RCD turns out to be OK, then it could be a freezer or refridgerator. Frankly if it keeps tripping then the RCD's probably doing it's job and there is a fault somewhere on the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back