Earth Wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I know what size earth wire to be used for bonding. Is it down to the area?

Sponsored Links
Main equipotential bonding is the bond between the main earth terminal (MET) and other incoming services such as gas and water on a copper pipe install.
The size of the main equipotential bonding is determined by the type and size of supply TT, TN-S, TN-SC (PME).
For PME you need to ask your electricity supply operator for this info.
For 100A TN-S with a main earth conductor of 16mm² the main equipotential bonding conductor needs to be 10mm²
For a TT the main equipotential bonding must be at least half the size of the earthing conductor (rod - MET) and not less than 6mm

Supplementary bonding is the cross connection of all extraneous & exposed conductive parts in a location giving rise to increased risk of electric shock such as a bathroom.
See http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/5.4.3.htm

As a rule using 4mm2 for cross bonding pipes in your bathroom etc.

Upto 100A main supply should be 16mm2 Earth.

Old 60/80Amp supplys will be upgraded in the near future to 100A so install 16mm2 regardless

Sponsored Links
hi

just another option

you can bond the water and gas in 1 length of 16mm cable, as long as the cable is not cut at any point.

hth

matt

mattux said:
hi

just another option

you can bond the water and gas in 1 length of 16mm cable, as long as the cable is not cut at any point.

hth

matt

Why 16mm²?

Spark123 said:
mattux said:
hi

just another option

hth

matt

Why 16mm²?

im not sure if you understood my post.

normally you would run a 10mm earth for the water and then another 10mm earth for gas. however it is acceptable to run a single 16mm to the water and then the gas(or viceversa) as long as the cable is continuous, ie not cut/broken anywhere including the first point of termination, in this case the first tenby.

matt

Correct me if I am wrong, but is it not the type of supply (TT, TN-S, PME)which dictates the size of the main equipotential bonding cable to use? I am also struggling to find the reg which says the cable needs to be increased to 16mm² for looped instead 10mm² (providing 10mm² is the correct size for the type of supply).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back