Earthing a new Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old 1970 fuse box unit is in process of being replaced by a certified electrician. He tells me that an earth needs to be connected from the Wylex Dual unit to the rising water main where it enters the house. As the new unit is in the garage this is going to be very difficult to route a cable. There is a water supply in the garage, could we not just connect to this copper pipe.
thanks

Sponsored Links
This connection is not to earth the consumer unit, it is to bond the incoming water supply to the house earth so that there cannot be a voltage difference between the incoming water pipe and other exposed metalwork in the house.

It should be connected within 600mm of the point where the external water supply enters the property - see link below for more details:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:main_equipotential_bonding

Many thanks dave, even though it's not what I wanted to hear !
The easy direct way would be to take a cable into the loft from the garage, thence down along-side a boxed in vent pipe to the rising main in the cloak-room. The head- space in the loft was never that easy and is now even worse with recent additional insulation. What would be an alternative usual route for the cable, it's a bungalow.

This connection is not to earth the consumer unit, it is to bond the incoming water supply to the house earth so that there cannot be a voltage difference between the incoming water pipe and other exposed metalwork in the house.
Well - we all hope that's what the electrician means/plans, and that it's not his way of providing a TT earth....

Sponsored Links
The easy direct way would be to take a cable into the loft from the garage, thence down along-side a boxed in vent pipe to the rising main in the cloak-room.
Is that the route that cables take to reach the light, and any other accessories, in the cloakroom?

Well - we all hope that's what the electrician means/plans, and that it's not his way of providing a TT earth....

Surely not - he's a professional :evil:

Definitions

professional

Somebody who gets paid for what they do (as opposed to an amateur).

competent

Having the skill and knowledge needed for a particular task; capable.

Gas lighting was much simpler, although I suppose an explosion could get you then, I don't go back that far !

My old 1970 fuse box unit is in process of being replaced by a certified electrician. He tells me that an earth needs to be connected from the Wylex Dual unit to the rising water main where it enters the house. As the new unit is in the garage this is going to be very difficult to route a cable. There is a water supply in the garage, could we not just connect to this copper pipe.
thanks

Has he carried out an Electrical Installation Condition Report? Is he confident that this the only required observation that needs to be carried out in order to bring the installation up to an acceptable standard?

Do you have gas? Is that adequately bonded?

Is there any existing bonding connected your water service?

What is the electrician's proposed solution/method in bonding the water service?

I have been drilling holes through walls to run the bondings for the gas and water, biggest problem getting a run to the rising water main, had to run in the loft eventually and come down alongside a boxed in vent pipe. He's back tomorrow to finish off, he's very capable, registered, and knowledgeable in a lot of things.
many thanks for input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back