Earthing a steel bath if fusebox has an RCD?

Many thanks all of you for your brain melting answers.............I was told about a window cleaner that was killed because the metal window he was cleaning was supplementary bonded, have you heard that one?
I haven't heard specifically of that one but, as I've been writing, 'unnecessarily' connecting metal things to earth can, in some situations, increase the risk of electric shock (whether fatal or not). One has to balance that risk against the risk of not connecting it to earth - and try to decide which of the risks one thinks is the greater.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
In the OP's question, the equipotential zone is only the bathroom.
If one takes that view, it's surely even more clear that the bath can't be an extraneous-c-p - since it is entirely contained within the bathroom?
So, how would you determine that?

Then in respect of 701.415.2(vi) what does "effectively connected to the PEB" mean and how do you determine this?
As I said before, 701.415.2(v) only applies IF the bath is a extraneous-c-p.
How do you determine that it is not?
As I also said before, you create a circular argument if you attempt to turn that on its head and say that if it is not "effectively connected to the PEB", then in must be an extraneous-c-p.
So, you just decide that it is not an extraneous-c-p and then ignore?

As I also said, this is why I have concerns about your 'test' method of 'determining' whether something is an extraneous-c-p. I presume you would agree that if a bath, totally contained within a bathroom, were totally floating ('infinite' resistance to MET/PEB), it would not qualify as an extraneous-c-p (just as with doorknobs and spoons/forks etc.)?
I would.
Do you believe that it would suddenly turn into an extraneous-c-p if I connected it via a 15kΩ resistor to something in continuity with the PEB/MET - and, if so, why?
Would it not because it would have the same effect?
What is the difference between that and a bath on the ground (floor) with the same resistance?

Please tell me - for a part that you would agree IS an extraneous-c-p what is meant by "effectively connected to PEB" and how you would determine this?

If one takes that view, it's surely even more clear that the bath can't be an extraneous-c-p - since it is entirely contained within the bathroom?
So, how would you determine that?
By observation and common sense, with further investigation in the (rare) cases in which observation leaves some uncertainty? If the bath is entirely within the room, it clearly cannot, itself, normally "introduce a potential" (any potential) into that room. If potentials are being introduced into the room, it must be something else introducing them (even if that something else is a soaking wet ground floor).
As I said before, 701.415.2(v) only applies IF the bath is a extraneous-c-p.
How do you determine that it is not? .... So, you just decide that it is not an extraneous-c-p and then ignore?
Sort-of, I suppose - just as you would probably decide that an incoming metal service pipe, coming from a 'well above ground' outside meter which was fed by a plastic, was not an extraneous-c-p that required bonding.

Do your tests if you like, but we both know what the results would virtually always be - the resistance between bath and MET (or exposed-C-Ps) would either be extremely low (if pipework etc. were providing a path to the bath) or else extremely high (if the bath really was 'floating') - in neither of which cases would bonding be required. The 'observation' part of the decision process would/should identify those cases in which there was uncertainty - e.g. a possible metal waste that entered the ground or a bath standing on a soaking wet ground floor solid floor.
Do you believe that it would suddenly turn into an extraneous-c-p if I connected it via a 15kΩ resistor to something in continuity with the PEB/MET - and, if so, why?
Would it not because it would have the same effect?
You seem to be overlooking what all this is about. The concern is about a degree of 'connection' between an exposed metal part and something (e.g. true earth) which might possibly be at a different potential from that of the equipotential zone (i.e. MET/PEB potential). Conductive paths (whether 1Ω, 1,665Ω or whatever) between exposed metal and something which is AT that MET/PEB potential are of no real consequence, which is why they don't qualify as extraneous-c-ps. I suppose things would be clearer if extraneous-c-ps were defined as parts which were "liable to introduce a potential different from the potential of the equipotential zone", or something like that.
What is the difference between that and a bath on the ground (floor) with the same resistance?
A big difference. Whilst, as above, a path from the bath to the MET/PEB is of no concern (and does not make it an extraneous-c-p), a path from the bath through a waterlogged solid floor to truth earth (which possibly could be at a potential different from that of the equipotential zone) IS a concern, and could render the bath an extraneous-c-p. As I said, observation would identify those cases in which this was a possibility, such that some tests (or, better, treating it as if it definitely were an extraneous-c-p) would then be appropriate.
Please tell me - for a part that you would agree IS an extraneous-c-p what is meant by "effectively connected to PEB" and how you would determine this?
In the obvious way, I suppose, by measuring the resistance from it to the PEB - and I wouldn't regard a resistance anything like as high as 1,666Ω as representing an 'effective connection' - I would be looking for a very small number of ohms, at most. However, this is the opposite way around from what we are talking about. The finding of a (any, of your choice) particular resistance between a bit of metal and the PEB never means that the bit of metal is necessarily an extraneous-c-p.

Kind Regards, John

I still feel that you are missing the main point which is not about introducing true earth potential but -
is about supplementary bonding in a bathroom and ensuring touch voltage is within the acceptable limit.

If the required impedance between exposed conductive parts and the bath is too high for safety because of a poor connection to the pipes - then it will have to be bonded, wouldn't it?

Sponsored Links
I still feel that you are missing the main point which is not about introducing true earth potential but - is about supplementary bonding in a bathroom and ensuring touch voltage is within the acceptable limit.
In turn, I think what you may be missing is that, even when it is required, supplementary equipotential bonding is only required between the CPCs of circuits in the location and extraneous-c-ps. The question of whether or not something is an extraneous-c-p (i.e. whether it is "liable to introduce a potential, generally earth potential") is therefore crucial in determining whether it needs to have supplementary bonding (if conditions for omission are not satisfied).
If the required impedance between exposed conductive parts and the bath is too high for safety because of a poor connection to the pipes - then it will have to be bonded, wouldn't it?
Why - if it is not an extraneous-c-p? Consider what I said before ... you agreed that a totally floating metal bath (near-infinite resistance to MET/PEB/CPCs) did not require any bonding. You are seemingly saying that if I connected it to a nearby CPC through a 15kΩ resistor (or the equivalent in damp walls/ floors/ whatever), it would then need bonding - but what hazard (that requires bonding to mitigate) do you believe has been introduced by that 15kΩ connection to the CPOCs etc.? If you are a person concerned about bernard's "drop a live hairdryer into a bath full of water' scenario, you might want to earth it (and, reasonably, would not regard a 15kΩ connection to earth as being adequate earthing), but there still would not be a reason for supplementary bonding, would there?

I feel pretty sure that you would not say that a bathroom door handle/knob (or metal window frame, or mirror frame, or whatever) needed supplementary bonding (if conditions for omission were not satisfied) simply because, for whatever reason, you measured 15kΩ between it an a CPC/MET/PEB/whatever - so what is different about a bath?

As we've discussed so many times, this really is very hypothetical - because I think the chances of your ever measuring between 1,666Ω and 23kΩ (or whatever) are as close to zero as makes little practical difference!

Kind Regards, John

Why - if it is not an extraneous-c-p?
Because it is causing the same hazard as an extraneous-c-p, therefore...

Consider what I said before ... you agreed that a totally floating metal bath (near-infinite resistance to MET/PEB/CPCs) did not require any bonding. You are seemingly saying that if I connected it to a nearby CPC through a 15kΩ resistor (or the equivalent in damp walls/ floors/ whatever), it would then need bonding
Surely it would because you have introduced a situation equivalent to a part which is an extraneous-c-p and would require bonding.
You have deliberately raised touch voltage but think nothing should be done to counter it.

- but what hazard (that requires bonding to mitigate) do you believe has been introduced by that 15kΩ connection to the CPOCs etc.?
Excessive touch voltage in the event of a fault.

If you are a person concerned about bernard's "drop a live hairdryer into a bath full of water' scenario, you might want to earth it
I would not.

(and, reasonably, would not regard a 15kΩ connection to earth as being adequate earthing),
In that scenario the 15kΩ would be removed to make it isolated but if it could not be then supplementary bonding should be added to equalise potential.

but there still would not be a reason for supplementary bonding, would there?
There would because R>50/Ia.

I feel pretty sure that you would not say that a bathroom door handle/knob (or metal window frame, or mirror frame, or whatever) needed supplementary bonding (if conditions for omission were not satisfied) simply because, for whatever reason, you measured 15kΩ between it an a CPC/MET/PEB/whatever -
Not normally but if it had that impedance, it would, wouldn't it.

so what is different about a bath?
None - except that those items will not be poorly connected to the pipes.

As we've discussed so many times, this really is very hypothetical - because I think the chances of your ever measuring between 1,666Ω and 23kΩ (or whatever) are as close to zero as makes little practical difference!
I do agree with that but it is the hypothetical we are discussing.

Without the RCD protection the resistance may be 2Ω when the bath may require bonding.

That it may never happen does not mean it is not the correct procedure.

Why - if it is not an extraneous-c-p?
Because it is causing the same hazard as an extraneous-c-p, therefore... ... Surely it would because you have introduced a situation equivalent to a part which is an extraneous-c-p and would require bonding. You have deliberately raised touch voltage but think nothing should be done to counter it.
- but what hazard (that requires bonding to mitigate) do you believe has been introduced by that 15kΩ connection to the CPCs etc.?
Excessive touch voltage in the event of a fault.
What sort of fault (and where), and what 'touch voltage'? You are talking as if the bath is a Class I Electrical appliance whose exposed parts (exposed-c-ps) could become live as a result of a fault within the appliance. Were that the case, then it would have to be earthed. However, that is not the case.

Assuming you are discounting 'bernard scenarios' (e.g. hairdryer dropped into a bath of water), there is no way that the bath can directly become 'live'. If the potential of any exposed-c-ps in the room become live as a result of some fault in something else (or, very rarely, if the potential of the CPCs in a TN-C-S installation rose to appreciably above true earth because of a supply fault), then, if the bath is not an extraneous-c-p (having some connection to true earth), then the pd between the bath and exposed-c-ps in the room (which I presume is what you mean by 'touch voltage') would be zero, whether the measurable resistance between bath and CPCs/MET/PEB/whatever was 1Ω, 15kΩ or 500MΩ (since no current would be flowing through that resistance).
That it may never happen does not mean it is not the correct procedure.
The "correct procedure" requires that (if conditions for omission of SB are not satisfied) that SB be installed to connect together all exposed-c-ps and extraneous-c-ps in the room - not anything else. Hence, if the bath is not either (it's obviously not an exposed-c-p, and could only be an extraneous-c-p if it were "liable to introduce a potential {different from the potential of the MET}"), there is no requirement to SB it, even if conditions for omission of SB are not satisfied.

Had they thought like bernard, the authors of the regs might have required that SB should connect together all exposed metal in the room (rather than just exposed- and extraneous-c-ps, as defined), but they didn't do that.

Kind Regards, John

Nothing is an extraneous-c-p unless it is connected to something outside of the equipotential zone (such as 'true earth').
Not so.

An e-c-p is something which is liable to introduce a potential...

There might be a poor-but-not-poor-enough connection to bonded pipework.
There might be - but would that qualify it as an extraneous-c-p?
It might.
A "poor-but-not-poor-enough connection to bonded pipework" will never, per se, render something an extraneous-c-p (as defined).
And because it might, saying that metal baths don't (i.e. an absolute don't ever, under any circumstances) need bonding is wrong.
I agree totally, and have never suggested otherwise....
The 'observation' part of the decision process would/should identify those cases in which there was uncertainty - e.g. a possible metal waste that entered the ground or a bath standing on a soaking wet ground floor solid floor.
Where I disagree with EFLI is in relation to his apparent belief that a "poor-but-not-poor-enough connection" (he says 1,677Ω to 23kΩ) between a part and the MET/PEB/CPCs/whatever automatically renders that part an extraneous-c-p, which therefore requires supplementary bonding (if conditions for omission are not satisfied). As I've said to him, he appears to be using a circular argument, since his criteria for deciding whether something is an extraneous-c-p appears to be based on one of the stated requirements for omission of supplementary bonding IF it is an extraneous-c-p.

As I've said, although the BS7671 definition of an extraneous-c-p is not totally explicit, it is apparent that what matters is whether the part is "liable to introduce a potential other than that of the MET". A connection (whether good, poor or indifferent) between a part and the MET (via CPCs or whatever) does not introduce the potential hazards that the spirit of an "extraneous-c-p" addresses. However, given that the MET will (under normal circumstances) nearly always have a very good connection to true earth (certainly with TN supplies), identifying an extraneous-c-p as such "by measurement", in the way that EFLI would like to do, is not usually possible. That is why I said that, in such circumstances, identification of an extraneous-c-p is usually going to rely on inspection/ observation and common sense (as with the incoming metal pipe from an outdoor, above ground, meter fed with plastic pipe).

I agree that, when there can't be certainty, one should default to assuming that something is an extraneous-c-p - but, in practice, that is probably going to be an exceedingly rare situation.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Nothing is an extraneous-c-p unless it is connected to something outside of the equipotential zone (such as 'true earth').
Not so. An e-c-p is something which is liable to introduce a potential...
Yep, true. I should have written "... unless it is, or may become, connected to ...", or something like that. However, you know that's what I meant, and it doesn't alter anything else I've written.

Kind Regards, John

A "poor-but-not-poor-enough connection to bonded pipework" will never, per se, render something an extraneous-c-p (as defined).
Of course it will.

A connection (whether good, poor or indifferent) between a part and the MET (via CPCs or whatever) does not introduce the potential hazards that the spirit of an "extraneous-c-p" addresses.
Yes it does.

Of course it will.
A connection (whether good, poor or indifferent) between a part and the MET (via CPCs or whatever) does not introduce the potential hazards that the spirit of an "extraneous-c-p" addresses.
Yes it does.
Neither of those responses make sense to me. As I said, although not explicitly stated in the definition of an extraneous-c-p, it is clear that what matters is liability to "introduce a potential" which differs from that of the equipotential zone (MET, CPCs, bonded pipework etc.). 'Introducing' a potential into the equipotential zone which is the same as the potential of the equipotential zone is clearly of no consequence. In order for me to be able to comment further, I think you need to explain your responses above in a bit more detail!

Kind Regards, John

If the bath is electrically connected to metal pipes which are e-c-ps then it too is an e-c-p.

If the connection is a poor one it is still an e-c-p, but now the connection is, in effect, a bonding conductor with too high a resistance.

If the bath is electrically connected to metal pipes which are e-c-ps then it too is an e-c-p.
Are you suggesting that everything with an electrical connection ('good', 'bad' or 'indifferent') to a (main bonded) extraneous-c-p thereby becomes an extraneous-c-p itself? If so, there will be an awful lot of extraneous-c-ps in the average building! If it becomes an extraneous-c-p, what is the "potential it is liable to introduce" (other than the potential of the MET/PEB/CPCs etc., which is hardly a problem!).
If the connection is a poor one it is still an e-c-p, but now the connection is, in effect, a bonding conductor with too high a resistance.
If it were an extraneous-c-p it would require 'main bonding'. What is your understanding of the reason for (function of) 'main bonding'?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back