Earthing galvanised junction box

I thaught it was some ****** having a brain spasm, and now you tell me people actaully did this because they thaught it looked better?!!!
Oh yes.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=barry+bucknell+hardboard+doors

http://www.youtube.com/results?q=barry+bucknell+hardboard+doors&hl=en-GB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=vy

But actually it's turned out to have been a great idea. People were dead keen on having flush doors, and without BB encouraging them to nail hardboard over their old panelled ones those doors would have been thrown in the skip/on the bonfire and replaced with those lovely jobbies with honeycomb cardboard insides. Whereas now the hardboard can be removed and the doors restored.

Sponsored Links
If your going to make a good return on the property then why not employ a good electrician with experience working with steel conduit and let him do the complete job including a switch drop. Should only be a days work for a good experienced electrician.
Doesnt have to be galv conduit could be black enamel or stainless steel all will give that industrial look.
Stainless will be expensive.

But I was going to say a similar thing - for a £140K profit if I found I'd b*gg*r*d up the lighting design I'd bite the bullet and do it properly, even if that meant a new ceiling.

Crazy I know, but its not all about the profit. I just like to look around at the end of a job and say 'I did that'. The only things I ever get anyone in for are where there is a legal requirement (or when I simply can't be bothered like scraping back the paint on the outside walls). This isn't going to be a very expensive house at the end of the job, it was just very cheap to begin with as it was practically derelict and bought probate having been empty for 6 years. Had no kitchen, no bathroom to speak of, horsehair plaster on the walls and newspapers from 1953 under the carpets. I doubt the lights will make much difference to the profit - that's been made mainly on general sprucing up!

Sponsored Links
The only things I ever get anyone in for are where there is a legal requirement
Apart from trivial things like just replacing sockets, switches, lights etc, there IS a legal requirement to get someone in for electrical work in kitchens (and bathrooms), or to apply for Building Regulations approval in advance.

As far as I'm aware you are not under any obligation to apply for building regs to install light fittings
You are adding lights in a kitchen.

That is notifiable - you are obliged to submit an application for Building Regulations approval.
You are in a kitchen.
Building regs 2010, Schedule 4 (work exempt from notification), section 2 :
2. Work which—
(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location;
(b) does not involve work on a special installation; and
(c) consists of—
(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit, or...

I think you'll find Part P also dictates who can undertake what work and where domestic installers are required (and not required) to notify building regulations.
From the NICEIC Part P factsheet:

"The requirements of Part P apply to most electrical work in your home. There are
however, certain relaxations that apply for minor work.
Minor work
‘Minor work’ is electrical work that does not involve the addition of a new circuit, for
example adding new sockets or light switches to an existing circuit, or the replacement
of sockets, light switches and ceiling roses. This work does not have to be undertaken
by a registered electrician and you do not need to notify your local building control office.
However, ALL electrical work must comply with BS 7671, the wiring regulations."
From the paragraph immediately following that one (with my emphasis):

High risk locations

Kitchens, bathrooms and gardens are classed as ‘special locations’ because the risk of
electric shock is greater. Unless you are only replacing accessories, work in a kitchen,
bathroom, garden or outbuilding must either be undertaken by a registered electrician or
notified to building control.

I'm now looking at putting up new light fittings, but we've realised that our kitchen lighting design isn't ideal and would like to add in a couple of extra lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back