Earthing galvanised junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where would be the appropriate place to attach the earth wire when using a galvanised junction box like the one here to wire lights (using terminal block for connections) please? Do I just attach it to one of the screws? View media item 53117

Sponsored Links
the screw hole at the back, will need an eyelet crimp on your your earth lead.

Are you using 4x conduit into the box? Cos if not there are much better solutions / conduit boxes available

Great, thanks.

No, not using 4x but this was all I seemed able to get round here. Tried 4 different electrical suppliers and even eBay. Could you point to right direction please? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I'm afraid the last one won't work - its for ceiling lights (going to look something like this http://www.historiclighting.co.uk/product/ceiling-rose-pattress-cable-clamp-galvenised) so needs to be round. Thanks though.

The other two I had looked at also, but unless I'm missing something TLC don't stock a galvanised loop in box, and screwfix is out of stock for collection in my area (I only need 2 so uneconomic for delivery). Might be stuck with what I've got, which is all my local screwfix had. Thanks anyway!

£14.50?

Less the sundries like wall plugs and choc-block that's at least twice what it should cost.

The other two I had looked at also, but unless I'm missing something TLC don't stock a galvanised loop in box, and screwfix is out of stock for collection in my area
Indeed, TLC don't appear to sell that sort of box. But then Screwfix don't appear to sell bonding nipples.

You'd probably have a much better chance of getting TLC to get you the boxes you want than doing specials through Screwfux.

Might be stuck with what I've got, which is all my local screwfix had. Thanks anyway!
You're in London, not the Outer Hebrides - there are wholesalers all over the place.

I thought you were having a conduit installation for your lights?

How are you going to use a box with 4 holes in the back and none in the sides?

I quite like that idea. If I was gonna do it, I would have to go the whole hog though and have galv conduit going from there to my light switch too.

Looking at picture 4, do you even need the box? The fitting comes with everything you need, including the box

Not buying from historic lighting, just using that as an example as to how it will look. Bonding nipples already procured from QVS who also don't stock single hole junction boxes either.

We took the advice of the previous reply who pointed out that conduit would be a dirt and grease trap in the kitchen, and instead are just installing single ceiling roses and looping visible cable to hooks to position the lights.

London is a big place and without spending half a day driving around its not proving possible to find what I'm looking for, certainly not locally.

Iggifer, can't justify the cost of buying from them when I can do the whole thing separately for less than a fiver each! I'd love to do the whole galvanised conduit thing but the light switch is already buried in the wall and is outside the room so probably not going to happen. This is a way of making white glass and stainless steel ikea light fittings look a lot more expensive by not using their rubbish plastic ceiling fittings, and allows us to run multiple cables through one ceiling rose. I hope its going to look pretty cool anyway!

Beauty is in the eye of, etc, but

are just installing single ceiling roses and looping visible cable to hooks to position the lights.

puke.gif

Other option is simple looped wires across the ceiling which I've seen done to good effect in some trendy bars.
I've seen that too.

But I didn't see good effect, I saw utter pants.

Not enough height to have conduit suspended on rods?

Thankfully its not your house. Having flipped 5 houses now in the past 8 years and made good profits each time, i'm pretty sure I know my market. The industrial look is very popular in London and we'll be making about £140k in a year when this house goes on the market.

No need to be such a pain in the bum now is there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back