Earthing galvanised junction box

Ha ha, no, just someone trying to get a house in a decent area in London and pay off the mortgage. £140k isn't much round here, where you need a cool million just to have a fourth bedroom. Have been doing up houses whilst living in them for the past 10 years. Just had a baby this year, so the next on might have to be the last!

BAS, think you'd definitely hate this house - stripped wood flooring, reclaimed industrial lights, kitchen made from reclaimed old dressers, lots of 'shabby chic' painted wood, sisal matting on the stairs, metro tiles with grey grout... but then the last one was all beige and cream, white gloss kitchen, fluffy carpets and UPVC double glazing. Depends on the house, the street and the market its for. Lots of Meedya types round here so give em what they want! (though I have to say this one is my favourite so far)

Sponsored Links
A whole year to do a house :eek: hardly high level flip then.

Most developers max out time at 4 months from buy to sell with the logic that it avoids 8 months mortgage, council tax and all the other bills.

Even in North London there's plenty of older stock for full refurb that can turn 3 bed housing to 5 beds and move the values from £400k to £550k.

Area is key, then transport, school, local amenities etc.

As for industrial being trendy, well yes and no. Converted warehousing yes, family home no.

Lets not forget artex and woodchip were liked once :eek:

Its not my job! We both work full time (well, i'm still on maternity leave right now) and do this in our spare time. I think a year is pretty impressive when you're working 50 hours+ a week. I was plastering whilst 8 months pregnant. And whilst there might be cheaper houses available there aren't round here (unless you want to buy ex LA). I go where I want to live (currently Balham/clapham/Dulwich), not just where the cheap houses are. I've done well so far, so i'll stick with the formula that works - its much nicer to live somewhere good if you're living in a building site!

stripped wood flooring, reclaimed industrial lights, kitchen made from reclaimed old dressers, lots of 'shabby chic' painted wood, sisal matting on the stairs, metro tiles with grey grout.

I like the sound of that even if BAS doesn't

Sponsored Links
stripped wood flooring,
reclaimed industrial lights,
kitchen made from reclaimed old dressers,
lots of 'shabby chic' painted wood,
sisal matting on the stairs,
metro tiles with grey grout...
OK
OK
Possibly
No - all wrong - fake.
OK
Possibly - depends entirely on the colour combination. Grout doesn't have to be white.

And putting sheets of hardboard over panelled doors.

We've got that all over this house, and it looks bloody awful. They've not even bothered taking the board right to the edges, and they've hacked it out around the handles, proper bodge job.

They've also only done the insides of the doors, leaving the hallway side panneled!

I thaught it was some ****** having a brain spasm, and now you tell me people actaully did this because they thaught it looked better?!!!

Spent the best part of a week taking all the doors apart, pulling out about a million panel pins holding the boards on, cutting back the spindles on the handles that had been lengthened, and stripping the paint - and on the stairs too which had also been horribly boxed in. Unfortunately they had butchered the doors a bit to nail batons onto the panels to support the boards, but they still look lovely now they're stripped, if a little shabby. Still can't decide whether to wax or paint.

If your going to make a good return on the property then why not employ a good electrician with experience working with steel conduit and let him do the complete job including a switch drop. Should only be a days work for a good experienced electrician.
Doesnt have to be galv conduit could be black enamel or stainless steel all will give that industrial look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back