Earthing metal light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Conscientious DIY'er looking to fit a double insulated light fitting in a kitchen.

The issue I have is that without carving a hole in the ceiling and fitting some connectors, all I have to work with is a short tangle of L, N and E wires which were connected in the original pendant. The light fitting in question is a large hollow metal rail, with ample room inside to house some choc box connectors, from which I could run the L and N lines into the plastic housing inside. This would obviously invalidate the double insulated status, and risk accidents should something come loose.

The question I have is, is there any harm in housing the connectors within the metal frame, provided I earth the frame adequately?

Many thanks,

Edit: Attached you can see the wiring I'm looking to replace, and a link to the fitting I'm looking to add: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50297485/

Attachments

• 20160728_095206.jpg
    20160728_095206.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
17th-edition-junction-box.jpg
a junction box like this pushed into the ceiling space is likely best option.

In theroy you should not earth a class II lamp. Although likely no problem with earthing it, without seeing the unit I would not like to say if OK or not.

17th-edition-junction-box.jpg
a junction box like this pushed into the ceiling space is likely best option.
It is the best option.

In theroy you should not earth a class II lamp.
In practice you must not earth a class II lamp fitting.

Although likely no problem with earthing it,
Pointless and introducing a hazard -
unless it becomes vital as in the OP's original suggestion by removing the Class II status.

without seeing the unit I would not like to say if OK or not.
You don't have to see it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back