New ceiling light fitting - I have no earth!

Nice one. Just found an extension lead that has a non-moulded plug so just about to take the plug off and connect to the void earth and then use the earth terminal on the socket end to connect the meter through. Will use a terminal block as suggested to ensure connection is good.

Sponsored Links
Folks, sorry, is the resistance reading meant to be zero or just very low as each of you said something slightly different!

I've just tested my multimeter with an extension lead by setting it to the minimum resistance setting (200ohm) and then connecting the probes between the earth terminals at the plug and socket ends. I got a slightly wavering result but it settles out at 0.8 or 0.9. Would that indicate the earth continuity I am looking for?

A really basic test would be simple continuity between any earth and the one you wish to test.

MET is best, but you should get continuity between a rad pipe and the earth being tested, and a main socket earth and the earth being tested.

Folks, sorry, is the resistance reading meant to be zero or just very low as each of you said something slightly different!

I've just tested my multimeter with an extension lead by setting it to the minimum resistance setting (200ohm) and then connecting the probes between the earth terminals at the plug and socket ends. I got a slightly wavering result but it settles out at 0.8 or 0.9. Would that indicate the earth continuity I am looking for?
Yes 0.8 ohms is okay and will show continuity between your lamp earth and the MET - provided you checked that the probes presented zero at the start.
To do that use the current settings and put the two probes together - you should get zero or very close to zero. If you get a value other than zero then you should take that away from the reading you got. If the probes together reading is less than 0.8/0.9 then you have continuity.

Sponsored Links
Well, it's all gone swimmingly after all your great advice. Got a nice earth continuity using the resistance within the suggested figures and also did a basic audible circuit continuity test for sake of completeness and the buzzer in my multimeter sounded happily.

Now got our new light fitted and working well. Nice low energy bulbs too replacing halogen spots - same light output on 27w of low energy bulbs as 120w halogens. Might save a couple of quid off the electric bill......

Thanks for your support today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back