Earthing Pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what the regs say about earthing pipes. And Im sure this is a stupid question but why do we do it?

Sponsored Links
We do it so that you can't get a fault condition that makes your radiators or bath taps or whatever live, as this would be a Bad Thing (TM) :eek:

The idea is that every single metal object that has some sort of a path to earth anyway (e.g. via the water main or gas main) is given a high-quality, low impedance connection back to the supply earth via a thick copper cable.

There are two aspects to the protection - first, a low resistance path to earth will make protective devices more certain to work if a live to metalwork fault occurs. Secondly, if you have a fault somewhere, current flowing in the earth wiring will cause the voltage on that wiring to rise relative to true earth potential. This could cause a shock to someone touching, for instance, the case of a faulty washing machine and a water tap at the same time. In order to minimise this risk, an 'equi-potential zone' is created by connecting the services to the main earthing point. Such services are:

Water Pipes
Gas Pipes
Oil Pipes
Central Heating
Metallic Ventilation Trunking
Exposed Parts of Building Structure
Lightning Conductor
Any other Metallic Service

You have to pay particular attention in areas like bathrooms to ensure that all the metalwork there is bonded together locally to create a "local equi-potential zone", this should include:

Hot & Cold water pipes to sink, bath, shower
Waste pipes (metal)
Central heating pipes, radiator, towel rail
Electric towel rail, radiant or convector heater
The bath (if metal - don't rely on the pipes alone).

A couple of points:

1) Anything connected by plastic pipes should not be bonded

2) You may not use the incoming water or gas pipes as the earth

Thanks for that Ban-all-sheds. Well explained.

So there must be a set impedance required by the regs. Do you know what that is if I swing from a gas pipe to earth (a Socket maybe?).

ban-all-sheds said:
Am I rightly saying the only way the lives wire can touch the metal objects is when the cables melting onto it thru' hot pipe ? Any other possibility ?

you may drop something in the bath (that you shouldn't have in their any way)[/quote]

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds - "A couple of points:

1) Anything connected by plastic pipes should not be bonded"

Why not?
Plastic poses as greater risk as copper if not more.

I was under the impression that you have to buy some sort of special connector for the plastic that can be earthed, or use a bit of copper when connecting to taps, so that could be earthed

sterose said:

Why not?

I was under the impression that you have to buy some sort of special connector for the plastic that can be earthed, or use a bit of copper when connecting to taps, so that could be earthed

you do not bond plastic pipes for one reason. They do not conduct electricity

sterose said:

Why not?

The point is that if you've got plastic pipes, then there's no way for the item (e.g. CH rad) to become live - there is no electrical path to it. But if you earth it, then 2 problems arise.

1) It now offers a path to earth, and therefore a path for a shock current to flow through you. If you had a live wire in one hand and touched the rad with the other, it'd be far better if there was no path for the current to flow. If you aren't earthed then touching a surface that is at 240v above earth won't harm you.

2) You've opened up the possibility that if something went wrong with the earthing system, the rad could become live.

Yes water does conduct electricity so in theory we need not bond anything with water in it as its already connected with at least 153 mm squaresd of water ( 15 mm pipe ) or am I wrong??? :oops:

What I'm thring to get through here is that water does conduct electricity and therefore needs to be earthed.

The fact that water does not conduct water *very well* is the whole reason for earthing.

e.g. if you have a 40amp breaker in your shower and the water conducts a maximum of 39 amps, your'e going to be set on fire before the fuse blows.

Earthing reduces the resistance so all you will get with earthed pipes is a quick shock (of >40 amps) before the fuse blows.

Understand?

But a 30 ma rcd will go off long before that ;) . I know what you are saying , all my pipework is bonded but even with the bonding removed all my metalwork is 0.01 ohms ( or less ) from everywhere to everywhere else.

Re earthing rads on plastic pipes - am I wrong? I always thought that you didn't, any more than you earthed towel rails (ordinary, not heated), or steel shelves etc.

Does an unearthed rad provide a good enough path to earth via the water in the plastic pipes for there to be a shock hazard?

And as an aside, why can't you get plastic radiators these days?

Plastic is an insulator. You may as well put loft insulation round your rads. It will keep the bills down :LOL:

You dont earth steel shelves and towel rails because there is NO path to earth (assuming is is fixed to brick or wood) unless it is connected to something with a path to earth.

You do earth radiators though because they are generally somewhere conencted to earth, usually at a boiler (because the metal of the boiler must be earthed).

Water does conduct electricity but has a high resistance.

This means that, without me knowing the exact resistance, a current that is less than the fuse rating can flow through you.

Like i said, if the resistance of water means that a current of 39 amps flows from your shower into you, but the shower fuse rating is 40amps, the fuse will never blow because it is still below its rating.

However, 39amps can damage you if not set you on fire.

Please ask further if you dont understand.

As a final point, a totally earth free environment is the safest place to be, eg. you could touch the 240volts mains and not be electrocuted. BUT no place in a house is totally earth free, eg. there is always something that will conduct electricity. The problem in bathrooms is that there is plenty of water and metal, and electricity if you have a shower. If an electric appliance fails somehow, it is the most likely place for you to come into contact with the faulty appliance AND be touching something with a path to earth.

Also, save yourselves time by simply learning about this instead of arguing with me. I know im right. Because when I argue, i always know im right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back