earthing rods

If you want LABC to test it under part P, you need to notify them before starting work. Every area has different charges. Do not energize the circuit before it has been tested. Mechanical damage is the likes of it getting stressed, hit or skewered by something, basically damaged by any mechanical method.

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
If you want LABC to test it under part P, you need to notify them before starting work. Every area has different charges. Do not energize the circuit before it has been tested. Mechanical damage is the likes of it getting stressed, hit or skewered by something, basically damaged by any mechanical method.

Rung the labc today and they said they would come and see if it needs testing when its finished,the earth wire will be in a conduit to the spike,

Just one more thing about self adhesive truncking has anybody used it and how well does it stick to painted walls :confused:

got a email from the labc about the shed electric and they said because i wont be using a sparky i would need to apply for a building application which will cost £100 and then when the work is done i need to get a sparky to test it which is most probably going to cost me £50 to give a certificate.
This is a big disappointment and i think a big rip off on the governments part.

I mean i don't mind paying a sparky to test it but paying £100 just for them to tell me i can go a head with the work.

Is there anyway around this?

Sponsored Links
shrimp said:
got a email from the labc about the shed electric and they said because i wont be using a sparky i would need to apply for a building application which will cost £100
OK

and then when the work is done i need to get a sparky to test it
Very much not OK

I mean i don't mind paying a sparky to test it but paying £100 just for them to tell me i can go a head with the work.
That £100 is for them to approve the plans, for them to inspect and test the work, and (assuming it's OK) for them issue a completion certificate stating that it complies with the Building Regulations.

You need to read this:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=178363#178363

and then this:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=184734#184734

There are 3 ways.

1) Use an electrician who can self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations (commonly referred to as "Part P registered") to do all of the work.
2) Do it before January 1st this year.
3) Do it and don't tell anybody. (But still get it tested for peace of mind)

ban-all-sheds said:
shrimp said:
got a email from the labc about the shed electric and they said because i wont be using a sparky i would need to apply for a building application which will cost £100
OK

and then when the work is done i need to get a sparky to test it
Very much not OK

That £100 is for them to approve the plans, for them to inspect and test the work, and (assuming it's OK) for them issue a completion certificate stating that it complies with the Building Regulations.

You need to read this:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=178363#178363

and then this:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=184734#184734

There are 3 ways.

1) Use an electrician who can self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations (commonly referred to as "Part P registered") to do all of the work.
2) Do it before January 1st this year.
3) Do it and don't tell anybody. (But still get it tested for peace of mind)

I re email my labc and he said that the local aurthority dont do the testing and i still need a sparky to certify it so i paying them for not much,i dont mined paying the £100 if they were testing it but that dont look like it going to happen :evil:

The following is courtesy of Ban:

Please read carefully!

3) Attempting to impose extra charges to cover the inspection and testing of work done by a non-registered person. An LABC may well elect to subcontract inspection and testing if they do not have the capacity to do it themselves, but they are not allowed to charge extra because of this – the cost to them of subcontracting must be borne by them

Individual local authorities co-ordinate their services regionally and nationally (and provide a range of national approval schemes) via LABC Services. (http://www.labc-services.co.uk).

I recently posed LABC services the following question:

"My local Building Control dept has told me that because of staffing problems they are unable to inspect some building work, and will have to sub-contract it, and that I will therefore have to pay this cost on top of their fees.

Are they allowed to do this?"

Their reply was:

"Building Regulation fees are set to a scale that embraces the whole scope of what may be necessary in respect of checking and approving the plans and inspecting the work. The input necessary can vary according to the circumstances of a specific scheme, but the fees are not variable due to this feature.

The local authority has a legal duty to carry out the Building Regulation function to a proper degree. This can also vary in extent according to the demands of any scheme and considerable discretion rests with the authority. However they are responsible to give a proper service within the fee and cannot charge extra for the reason you mention. Indeed if they failed to inspect yet still charged you might have a case for a refund."

so what do you do if they flat out refuse to listen to that?

ignore part P?
take them to court?

thanks for the info i have taken a look at the link and i have emailed the head office of the labc i m going to see what they say about it,if they say the same i will go and see the citizen advice bureau and see if they could suggest anything :eek:

shrimp said:
thanks for the info i have taken a look at the link and i have emailed the head office of the labc i m going to see what they say about it,if they say the same i will go and see the citizen advice bureau and see if they could suggest anything :eek:

Well i contacted them and they said contact my local labc so that was a waste of time :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back