Earthing Split conduits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When rewiring an old house - how do you earth split conduits when the conduit finishes short of the switch back box and the top of the conduit is less than flush with the ceiling board ?????/

Sponsored Links
Whatever you do you should retain the feeling of joy that you were able to pull new cables through that stuff in the first place... ;)

Anyway - how about crimping an eyelet to a flylead, and using a pop-rivet to fix it to the conduit?

I know that.

But since you need to earth it you will have to dig a hole and expose it somewhere, won't you.

Sponsored Links
The conduit is buried top and bottom
AFAIAA you are allowed to run double insulated cables through the old domestic installed conduit without it being earthed provided it is not outside the safe zones!

However, if I have been informed incorrectly, I’m sure someone can provide a RN?

V

AFAIAA you are allowed to run double insulated cables through the old domestic installed conduit without it being earthed provided it is not outside the safe zones!
Indeed you may, for another 28 days.

And thereafter you may, as long as the conduit is >50mm deep OR the circuit is RCD protected.

But if, for any reason, you actually need mechanical protection to meet a regulation, it must be earthed.

Just as it must now, so when jaguar1 asked about earthing I assumed that for some reason he has to earth it, not that he was doing it on a whim.....

If i was to do a rewire to the 17th as of July onwards would i have to earth the old split conduits that are just below plaster depth if i was using a rccd , assuming i am using twin & earth , the existing split conduits would only be used for convenience . Thanks also i have seen twin & earth where both conductors are brown should this now be used for switch drops or is it still ok to mark the blue switch wire with a brown tag.

Thanks

Ban-all-sheds, it would seem we are in agreement.

I too had made an assumption. Mine was that the op was asking the question simply because he thought the conduit required it regardless. On a whim…. as you would say! ;)

jaguar1

In answer to your question, read the posts above and in particular B-A-S’s most recent and consider whether the conduit to be used is in the safe zones?

The Brown twin and earth cable you mention is not a necessity providing you over sleeve and identify the switch wires with brown sleeving at each termination point as you would do now.

Regards

V

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back