To Earth or Not To Earth that is the question

:) Let's hope the OP hasn't been waiting all weekend for the outcome, and earthed it yesterday.

Sponsored Links
I will not be removing the conduit, as anyone who's had the "privelege" of working on masonary walls plastered with black mortar knows, as this will make black dust that will covering everything for ages.
Been pulling the stuff out of a cottage all week - a pita!
Never mind the definitions and 'discussions' that have taken place, I believe we all agree that removing the possibility of touching the conduit will negate the need to earth it.
If the conduit is to remain in the wall then as I said earlier cut back the exposed bit in the loft and provide some form of protection/covering for the remaining bit - this can be a suitable block of wood or even a plastic junction box

AmateurFiFi";p="2853637 said:
Many thanks to all who've offered an opinion.

No photos available unfortunately.

The lighting circuit is RCD protected and the conduit is currently - and will remain with the T+E inside it - in a safe zone.

Best wish with your project.

Lxboy

Sponsored Links
... I believe we all agree that removing the possibility of touching the conduit will negate the need to earth it.
I think you're actually the only person to have explicitly made that point up until now - but, yes, I would imagine that most people would agree that if none of the conduit is exposed, then it clearly can't be an exposed-conductive part, and therefore would not need earthing. As for the risk of drilling/nailing into it (after it had become live due to a fault), siting in safe zones is meant to minimise the risk of that happening, and RCD-protection there even if someone does it. so, yes, I would agree that ...
If the conduit is to remain in the wall then as I said earlier cut back the exposed bit in the loft and provide some form of protection/covering for the remaining bit - this can be a suitable block of wood or even a plastic junction box
...is a very reasonable option.

Kind Regards, John

It''s exposed in the attic read the OP.
Yes, but you need to read the rest of the thread as well. The suggestion that it it could, in some circumsatances, be regarded as non-exposed (and therefore, to my mind, not qualifying as an exposed-c-p) arose in relation to the suggestion that the part in the loft could be cut off and the end covered with something to make it non-touchable. Would you then still regard it as an exposed-c-p?

Kind Regards, John

I would just do what any qualified electrician would do and earth the exposed
conduit.

Kindest regards,

Lxboy

I would just do what any qualified electrician would do and earth the exposed conduit.
Fair enough - but, as I asked, what would you do if (as riveralt suggested) the situation was changed such that there was no exposed conduit - would you still want to earth the (non-exposed) conduit?

Kind Regards, John

OK - referencing Guidance Note 8 (and recognising that this is merely guidance from the IET):

"Metal conduit (and also steel conduit and ducting) has traditionally been used as a CPC for many years, but more recently it has fallen out of favour, with many designers adopting a 'belt and braces' approach by using a separate CPC contained within the wiring system. It has to be said that in many, if not most, cases the additional separate CPC is wholly unnecessary. Additionally, it has to be recognised that a steel containment system is required to be effectively earthed where the contained cables are not sheathed. Thus, it is important that joints in the containment system be mechanically and electrically sound even where a separate CPC is employed."

I will admit that this suggests that where sheathed cables are used then the conduit need not be considered an exposed conductive part, however in principle conduit is always considered to be. In fact one has to wonder why people install conduit and then don't pull singles through it, but that's another discussion. Personally I wouldn't like to see unearthed conduit.

Sorry john,

I have made it clear exactly what i and any other electrician would do.

end.

Lxboy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back