To Earth or Not To Earth that is the question

Sorry john, I have made it clear exactly what i and any other electrician would do. end.
You have made it clear that you would earth exposed conduit. However, for some reason you seem unable, or uninclined, to tell me whether you would earth non-exposed conduit.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
OK - referencing Guidance Note 8 (and recognising that this is merely guidance from the IET): ....... I will admit that this suggests that where sheathed cables are used then the conduit need not be considered an exposed conductive part ....
Indeed. However, they don't actually use the phrase 'exposed-conductive-part' and I suspect their intent is that, if the cable is not sheathed (i.e. SI singles), the conduit has to be earthed even if it is not 'exposed' - which is analagous to the requirement for the armour of buried SWA to be earthed, even if none of it is 'exposed' in any normal sense.
... however in principle conduit is always considered to be.
That's really what this part of the debate (essentially started by riveralt) is about - if the conduit is not 'exposed' is it actually true that it must always consdiered to be an 'exposed-c-p'? In terms of the words, it would obvioulsy not make sense but I'm not sure of the 'intent'.
In fact one has to wonder why people install conduit and then don't pull singles through it, but that's another discussion.
Indeed. My first contribution to this thread was to question the need for conduit at all (for T&E) and to point out that if conduit were being used, T&E wasn't really the right thing to be trying to put into it!
Personally I wouldn't like to see unearthed conduit.
I almost agree. I would say "Personally I wouldn't like to see unearthed exposed conduit".

Kind Regards, John

I will admit that this suggests that where sheathed cables are used then the conduit need not be considered an exposed conductive part, however in principle conduit is always considered to be.
Why?

Personally I wouldn't like to see unearthed conduit.
What about cable tray carrying sheathed cables?

Sponsored Links
Away back to your knitting.

Now that's radical or is it radial ?

Regards,

Lxboy

By bell ended, I presume you mean the rubber end caps, which often perish.

Usually a piece of plastic oval conduit can be pushed onto the end of the metal tube, just to prevent the cable rubbing against the metal.

I would certainly try to fit an earth clamp on the conduit in the loft, and bond.

I wouldn't be too worried if it wasn't bonded though, when you consider all the lengths of galvanised capping buried in walls in the UK that aren't connected to earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back