Earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Feedup with waiting for YEDL to come and install PME and I'm now ready to install new consumer unit so would like to have decent earth in place. The only earth connection at the moment is 6mm to a conduit that runs from my house to next doors which their supply runs through. My previous house simply had an earth clamp on the incoming supplies conduit but would it be better to install an earth rod. Before anyone ask's no I'm not a sparky but 16th edition qualified and have had previous work inspected by local authorities.

Sponsored Links
Have you determined the supply characterstics?
Have you carried out
Pre installation inspection and tests?
Have you got a set of meter tails and main earth conductor

Have you got test equipment?

Because this will give you something to do while you wait for DNO to upgrade

And I suggest you look for your copy of the regs that you said you'd lost in another post.

Your not a sparky but your qualified ????

Nudge me if am still asleep but if your qualified your a sparky ???

Maybe with no work i´ll go back to sleep..........

to be continued.................

MR-DIAZ said:
Your not a sparky but your qualified ????

Nudge me if am still asleep but if your qualified your a sparky ???

Maybe with no work i´ll go back to sleep..........

to be continued.................

Mr -DIAZ It doesn't mean your an electrician if you've got the 16th edition qualification as any sparky will tell you but obviously you need some electrical experience and knowledge but saying that our apprentice passed the 16th edition exam so maybe it a meaningless qualification particually for someone like me who's work only involves industrial electrics.Hope thats clear now :confused:

Sponsored Links
bryan walker said:
MR-DIAZ said:
Mr -DIAZ It doesn't mean your an electrician if you've got the 16th edition qualification as any sparky will tell you but obviously you need some electrical experience and knowledge but saying that our apprentice passed the 16th edition exam so maybe it a meaningless qualification particually for someone like me who's work only involves industrial electrics.Hope thats clear now :confused:

WHAT

the above issues aside, (i would say) the answer to your question is NO! as you need completely different RCD arrangements fot a TT and PME supply so if you fit you CU ready for PME and its still TT then the setup would be unsafe.

At the moment the only earth connection from my very old brown wylex fuse box is a 6mm earth wire connected to a conduit which next doors supply runs through. Therefore I determined that I have either a TN-S or TN-C-S system , thats why I suggested adding a clamp and correct size earth wire to the incomming supplies conduit.Here's a few photos to make things clearer.

sm1thson said:
the above issues aside, (i would say) the answer to your question is NO! as you need completely different RCD arrangements fot a TT and PME supply so if you fit you CU ready for PME and its still TT then the setup would be unsafe.

I have already bought a splitload c/u and after reading through the regs as you have pointed out TT isn't suitable for the type I have bought so hopefully I will have TNS or TNCS otherwise it looks like I might have wasted my money, would testing from live to the incoming supplies conduit be a good indicator of a suitable earth. There is a live to earth reading in the sockets etc but that must be to the conduit supplying next door so how do you know what you have without any connections to the incoming supply. Is there a chance I don't have an earth on the incoming supply so that's why nothing is connected to it, I can't find any info in the regs that cover this situation other than fitting my own earth rod if no earths present but as I said I've bought the C/U now :confused:

The DNO stuff is not covered by the IEE regs, it comes under the ESQCR. It is illegal to tamper with DNO equipment. If you are having a PME (TN-CS) upgrade why not wait until that has been done, also maybe have an isolator fitted?. Where do the VIR wires go from the conduit? Could this be an old supply which has been disconnected? I take it you have done a Ze reading? Also please note that replacing a CU is notifiable to your LABC under part P.

I've done a Ze test which failed @ 11.23 ohms so I have a poor earth. The only way around my problem is to fit an earth rod which would mean buying a different C/U so it looks like I'll have to wait for YEDL, oh well only 3 months so far.

Spark 123 the VIR wires are next doors supply

11.23ohms is way too high for a TN supply, shouldn't be above 0.35 for TN-CS or 0.8 for TN-S. The pipe that the earth is connected to is a loop out supply from your house to next door? So there is also a chance next door may not be earthed properly either?
You are correct that in the only thing you can legally do is put an earth rod in and convert the supply to TT (subject to part p), however if the DNO have provided an earth in the past it is up to them to maintain it.
It is probably worth putting another call in for them to check their supply as they have an exposed conductive part on your premises which is not properly earthed too.

I think you need to phone DNOs emergency number to report a dangerous supply i.e. Ze outside spec. DNO are obliged to fix within 24hrs

I was toying with that too DESL, looking at the pictures I was wondering if there has ever been an earth installed??

Absoloutly typical of round here. No earth, and YEDL dont give a stuff about sorting it.

The emergency number for YEDL is 0800 375 675

It is worth a try, but don't hold your breath where they are concerned

From the pics the only earth path seems to be to the clamp on outer of conduit which would explain high Ze

Definitely an emergency call on this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back