earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could someone please explain to me the purpose of connecting the earth wire to the copper piping....and how the earthing system works ...i have always wondered & would love to know.... :eek: :!: :?:

Sponsored Links
As Breezer would say try doing a search on this forum (earth, earthing, earth bonding) It has been mentioned here many times before.

Also you may find this site helpful here As i understand it is a comlex web of many different factors. Electricity as you probably are aware, go's to the earth the shortest way possible, if that's you then it's you. The purpose of professionaly wired earthing within an house is to direct the electricity if needs be to the safest route down to earth. The earth wire acts as the root for the electricity to travel down. FWL and others alike on this forum are able to give a more detailed description in the why's and how's of this area. As i see it earthing is an integral and essential part of any household wiring and i think i am correct by saying that the minimum size of earthing cable which you would use for earth bonding i.e. a single earth cable running from the consumer unit to the necessary areas needs to be 6 mm2...

burger said:
could someone please explain to me the purpose of connecting the earth wire to the copper piping....and how the earthing system works ...i have always wondered & would love to know.... :eek: :!: :?:

And so you shall. Read this

andemz said:
..i think i am correct by saying that the minimum size of earthing cable which you would use for earth bonding i.e. a single earth cable running from the consumer unit to the necessary areas needs to be 6 mm2...
It's not as simple as that. You might need 10mm, or 16mm. Or even 25mm, although that is very unlikely.

here

The TLC piece isn't overly informative really.

Here are a couple of reasons.

1: By connecting an electrical supply system to the general mass of Earth, the potential difference between Earth and Neutral is reduced to zero. If this did not occur then the neutral conductor would possess a potential difference in respect of earth that could potentially be dangerous.

2: Exposed and Extraneous metalwork is connected to earth in order to provide a path for fault currents. Should this path not exist then metalwork could remain live following a fault. If this happened then a person touching that metalwork would complete an electric circuit, thus recieving an electric shock, probably fatally.

3: The connections to Earth, and the Neutral being at Earth potential provide another level of safety in the event of a fault occuring. As the neutral and earth are tied to the same electrical potential in respect of the live conductor, any fault that allows current to flow form the live to either the earth or the neutral will encounter less resistance than it would flowing through a machine or other electrical device. The result is that this virtually resistance free path allows the flowing of huge currents via the fault, this huge current flow is stopped due the intervention of overload protective devices that will not allow such huge currents to flow.

Hope this simplification helps.

Sponsored Links
i would just like to say a big thanx for all the advice....very interesting and useful information greatfully appreciated......the computer age hey.!!!!!!!!!!!! marvellous

It's when your on International BB's that you realise just how amazing this technology is. You can have a real time conversation using messenger or similar with people all over the world, but the BB's reach everyone at the same time..great :D

fantastic...cheers mate...will pick your brains again sometime for sure :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back