Easiest way to paint old pebblesdash render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started painting over the garage pebbledash today. What a pain!! I had a 4" brush but it is almost impossible to get into all the little nooks and crannies.

There must be an easier way?

I am using Dulux Weathershield, and I diluted with 15% water for the first coat because there are lots of areas where the render is fresh. I didn't prime the patched parts of the render.

IMG_20150906_144941.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hire spraying equipment, maybe.....personally I'd bash on with what you have - a roller isn't much use here.
John :)

I would have wacked a coat of stabilising solution on the lower half of the wall.

Using a brush is the best solution, spray goes everywhere, it aint so easy being a decorator , a six inch brush would be better :) you will need at least a couple of coats on that wall.

me a a dec pal done my mothers house which was dashed using brushes.we tried with rollers and that lasted all of 5 minutes.
its hard work but we found it was the best solution.

Sponsored Links
Ok. Thanks. I'll persevere with brushes then. I'll try a few different types.

I haven't painted the bottom part yet so still have time to use a stabilising solution if I need it. I have some waterproof PVA. Will that do it?

Its not a big wall so brush and a bit of patience is probably all that's needed. Re rollers, a decent quality 7 inch long pile roller would do that wall no problem, lather the roller in paint and roll the roller up slowly first and don't try to roll it too much. At the bottom I would buy some frog Blue tape and mask it off so you don't have to worry about cutting in.

I would definitely stabilise the bottom else it's just a waste of paint.

Then book it in to paint again next year.

Thanks! I bought a proper masonry roller with deep sheepswool pile. Wow! What a difference.

I did the rest of the wall in around 1 hour, which is less than it took to do the first tiny part with a brush.

It did use a huge amount of paint though.

Then book it in to paint again next year.

You mean for a second coat? Or you mean I will need to repaint it every year?

I was thinking to get a second coat on in the next couple of weeks. The soffits and other woodwork are all being sanded and painted (by a pro) starting next Monday.

What order would you do it? Second coat on the masonry now (but then it will get dirty from sanding the wood), or second masonry coat after the wood is done (but then I have to be careful not to splash the newly painted wood).

One normally works from top to bottom, depends on how much rubbing down the " Pro" will do as to how much dust there will be

In this situation leave the second coat until the "Pro" has finished ( ladder marks paint spots etc)
you could paint a second coat strip about 3 inchs wide around the woodwork, dust off when the " Pro " has finished and paint up to that with the masonry paint. A bucket of clean water and sponge would help to get paint spots off the woodwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back