Easy Fit Hinges/ Magic Hinges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fellas

I'm in the process of getting a new kitchen and am trying to get the price down as possible (within reason).

My latest concern is the price of some hinges which they say are needed to fit to two doors which will be used to hide my free standing washing machine and dishwasher.

They are wanting £160 for 2 sets. Is that a bit pricey.

Does any one know of any good sites wher i can have a look at what they are?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Trade they are about £50 each +VAT, I would expect retail to be 30-40% more so sounds about right.

The site is not woorking at the moment but if you go to Woodfit.com and search for product EFH01 you will get the retail price.

Jason

EFH01:

EFH01%20col%20a.jpg

It is much cheaper to have a wider opening (say 700mm) and use standard hinges (e.g. 700mm wide opening with 300+400mm doors) although that may not look as neat, or just leave the front of the machine exposed. The other point about using standard machines behind doors is that the worktop depth will probably need to be greater than 600mm, so it is necessary to use a breakfast bar top and slice one edge off

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Even at that they're still expensive enough to make me think twice about the need to have them

Scrit

Its an expensive bit of metal angle, the hinges would cost £1.04 ea and mounting plates 22p each, so even at trade thats £45 for 600mm of metal angle with a few holes drilled in it :!:

Jason

You could but the angle in bulk, and the holes separately, and save a fortune.

Has anyone got a picture of how these things look in action?

JohnD said:
You could but the angle in bulk, and the holes separately, and save a fortune.
You could just as easily screw a 60mm wide piece of edges MFC down each side of the opening and use conventional hinges. The angle iron means that the opening will have to be wider than 600mm to get the washer in, and the next size up is likely to be 700 mm (300+400mm unless you can find 350mm doors). So why bother with this at all?

Scrit

You could just as easily screw a 60mm wide piece of edges MFC down each side of the opening and use conventional hinges

Please expand Scrit because size is an issue.

I will have a washer and a dishwasher side by side.

Whats MFC?

Scrits method would require a "post" between the tho appliances to hang doors on so you will loose 200mm as it needs 700mm (two doors) for each appliance.

Using the easy hinges will allow you to use just two 600mm doors. but its not easy to fit the hinges once the appliances are in the hole as its very hard to screw the angles to the carcase sides. You will also have to ensure that the doors can close without hitting th efront of the appliance, taking into account any pipe runs behind them.

If you can get doors made say 640-650 wide you can do it like this one I made, there is a washing machine and separate drier behind those doors on standard inset blum hinges with a 650mm wide worktop

MFC = Melamine Faced Chipboard - what the carcases are made from.

Jason

Jasonb said:
Using the easy hinges will allow you to use just two 600mm doors. but its not easy to fit the hinges once the appliances are in the hole as its very hard to screw the angles to the carcase sides. You will also have to ensure that the doors can close without hitting th efront of the appliance, taking into account any pipe runs behind them.
That's really the issue, Jason. I've never come across a stand-alone washer which will fit under a standard 600mm deep worktop without hanging out at the front - in which case how do you get the washer in then screw the Magic thingummibobs to the side? Assuming the OP is limited to using off the shelf doors that leaves two alternatives - either the worktop need to be deeper than 600mm (so take a breakfast bar and cut it down to width) in which case standard doors and hinges could be used as in your sample, or the opening needs to be wider which will cost the space for an extra upright panel and two wider doors - which costs an extra 200mm in width. But again standard hinges could be used there....... so exactly how much use are these special hinges?

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back