easy plumbing query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 basic questions:

1) are all so called 'yorkies' lead free nowadays. I read somewhere that it is better to use compression fittings on pipes which are used for drinking water but i prefer using 'yorkies' so if they are lead free can someone please let me know

2) I have a combination boiler which uses a sealed central heating system. On the bottom floor of my house between the flow and return pipes i have a valve which links the two, someone told me this valve is a pressure balancing valve, can someone explain what this valve does?

thanks in advance

scott

Sponsored Links
Yorkshire fittings have lead free solder in them these days so are OK for potable water. As for valves, look in the definitions topic near the top of the topic index.

scottygio said:
I have 2 basic questions:

1) are all so called 'yorkies' lead free nowadays. I read somewhere that it is better to use compression fittings on pipes which are used for drinking water but i prefer using 'yorkies' so if they are lead free can someone please let me know

If you ask for them yes they are lead free (why not use end feed?) as for reading that about compression gawd knows where you read it as it is crap

scottygio said:
2) I have a combination boiler which uses a sealed central heating system. On the bottom floor of my house between the flow and return pipes i have a valve which links the two, someone told me this valve is a pressure balancing valve, can someone explain what this valve does?

thanks in advance

scott

it allows for the circualtion of water during pump over run (anti cycling) although (dependant or the model) most combis dont need it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back