easy to remove control panel on the hsa6400

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Have just installed an HSA6400 and with the control panel was wondering isn't it easy for a burglar to just unplug the panel quickly and that's that ? If the entry time is say 30secs that's all he needs...

Sponsored Links
thats on the basis the intruder enters via your entry route, i'd like to think the other sensors provide an instant alarm. External siren should be inaccessable too, and should ring even if panel is compromised. Try it out for yourself and see what happens.

and should ring even if panel is compromised.

If the panel is compromised then it cannot transmit the wireless message to the siren that starts the siren sounding. Hence putting the panel out of action means the siren will not sound.

Unlike a wired siren where the panel sends a continuous "be quiet" signal to the siren. If the wire is cut or the panel compromised the siren looses the "be quiet" signal and starts to sound the alarm

Wireless siren should trigger still as it will miss its polling supervision, although i doubt the yale systems have such features.

Sponsored Links
If one has to use wireless then at the very minimum there shuld be two way communication and regular status updates from all sensors and sirens. Some low cost DIY "alarm" systems can bet set with a door or window open as the system cannot poll the sensors when the alarm is set. A sensor can be removed from site and the alarm can still be set. for example a new front door and frame was fitted, old door and frame put in skip, sensor and magnet also in skip. Alarm set when the owner went out that night. Entry timer did not start when he opened the front door.

I've tested a few things with the HSA6400

The intruder can actually enter through the entry route and as long as he unplugs the control panel within the permitted entry time (in my case 20 secs) then that's that... the siren doesn't ring

Am I correct? If so what are my options within the system to ensure this not occurring?

Also with a wired system In the same situation can an intruder unwire. I personally have a wired and it doesn't seem so easy

Bin it & get a professional graded system like a texecom premier elite or pyronix enforcer. These systems and other professional systems will trigger outside siren if wireless signal is lost, also the main panel is tamper proof so if the lid is removed upon entry a tamper alarm will cause a full alarm condition. Also lose the plug & hardwire into a spur. Back up battery will kick in and run system without mains.

Ideally I'd like to work out how best to use this. Is it the Pyronix enforcer wireless that you're suggesting?

Also with a wired system In the same situation can an intruder unwire. I personally have a wired and it doesn't seem so easy
In almost every wired system the bell is held off ( kept silent ) as long as the cable to the panel is intact and the panel is providing a hold off voltage to the siren. Amything that prevents the hold off signal reaching the siren will cause the siren to operate on it's internal battery. The battery is a rechargable battery kept fully charged by power ( 12 volt ) from the control panel

Should have spent your money on enforcer kit first time.
You will have not problems with the pyronix enforcer
Did you buy your Yale kit from screwfix ?
Could return equipment?

isn't it easy for a burglar to just unplug the panel quickly and that's that ?

If you mean unplug the phone connector or cut the cable, then yes, it would prevent it dialling out (although this will not stop the siren). That's why I'd suggest you have it out of sight, and well away from points of entry. For example behind your bedroom door or in a cupboard. The same applies to my Galaxy wired alarm. So in both cases you need a separate keypad near your front door.

As Alarm Engineer says, if you enter without using the Entry door, and activate any other sensor, it will alarm immediately.

Pulling out the mains plug would not prevent it working because it has a standby battery.

I'm told crack-heads sometimes try to smash alarms or rip them off the wall. In which case the tamper would set the siren off. Once the siren has started, damaging the control panel won't stop it.

The HSA6400 is cheap to buy and easy to install, and has some good features, including the dialler and the day/night settings. It is convenient for the many people in rented homes because it is unnecessary to drill holes and run cables, and you can take it with you when you move. If you can afford to pay more and/or spend much more time installing, you can get better systems.

Interestingly, the cheaper HSA6200 has no control panel, so nothing inside the house you can disable. Once set, any sensor will activate the siren. It does not have the other useful features, though.

The intruder can actually enter through the entry route and as long as he unplugs the control panel within the permitted entry time (in my case 20 secs) then that's that... the siren doesn't ring

Am I correct?

No, because it has a standby battery. Or have you taken the panel off the wall and disabled the internal battery? The panel has a tamper sensor.

Ah yes this is all very helpful, I now realise I need to position the control panel in a better location, upstairs somewhere discreet and use a key fob or another keypad near door?

I actually tested the following:
- Enter the front door activating the door contact
- Allowing entry timer to run a few secs
- unplugging control panel

The alarm didn't go off. Perhaps the standby battery isn't in control panel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back