Easyfill (skim)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read here that this is a good product and easy to use over a wall with minor imperfections. There are areas of pretty brittle paint or might be distemper and lots of patches of polyfilla. Will Easyfill do the trick and do you need any special equipment ie plastering board? I also read I should then paint with a coat of thinned down white matt emulsion. Is that corect?

I'd appreciate help. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If its distemper it got to come off first

OK thanks verymuch I will try to get it off by scraping unless theres a better way, but how will I know if its distemper? And someone else told me to PVA over everything first then easyfill. Is this good advice

No...PVA will not sort out distemeber, its powedery to the touch, thatts how you identify it....it has to be washed off with hot water and then the area needs a coat of alkali resisting primer or water based plaster primer

Sponsored Links
Right. Thanks. That's very helpful. But I think its not distemper then - just some very old emulsion. But is it good to seal the wall with PVA first before Easyfill to give a good bond or will the Easfill not stick to PVA? And is it good for a whole wall or just used like polyfilla?

I would scrape off the worst then seal the wall with thinned out Dulux stain block

I've not heard of Dulux stain block (what doeas that do?) and do you mean I should use Easyfill after painting the wall with it?

why dont you just get it plastered, by a professional, it wont cost too much and wont be a bodge. and not meaning to be rude, your post gives me the impression that you dont know the first thing about decorating.

Bodge today regret in the future, unless your thinking of moving in the next few years and it might last, then i wouldnt bother bodging anything, you'll be doing it again by the time you move.

Another point is there are a lot of plasterers competing for business at the moment, supply and demand means that prices are coming down.

Once skimmed paint with matt emulsion watered down to about 70-80%, dulux supermatt is really good stuff but expensive, but covers better than the others.

Right, I've looked at various comments on sealing and painting walls and this is what I plan to do
1) Fill major holes first (ones in stud wall built up with two part filler)
2)Sand down, wash down
3)Apply Dulux stain block as a sealer
4)Use Easyfill to make a seamless finish for paint. It looks like I need a drywall taping knife to put it on being careful to use small quantities as it goes off quick
5)Paint with Trade Vinyl matt mixed with 25% water to seal over Easyfill
Paint
Does this sound right?

And then about the type of paint for the finished look. Is Dulux Supermatt good for bathrooms and/or damp areas? Does it have a mould inhibitor in it or maybe I dont need it if I'm just painting the walls?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back