Eaves storage making and hanging doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently went from this:-
To this in my upstairs hall.:-.

Raised floor up to above skirting using some wood beams running opposite across the roof beams. Boarded out sides and floor with 18mm MDF. Boarded roof with 6mm MDF. Sanded down the current Struts.

I was planning to get some MDF cut to size from B&Q and use some concealed hinges to attach to each strut. I've read on hear that B&Q MDF is not the best and I may have fun painting the edges and watch the boards distort.
Found out these people cut to size http://www.wrightscarpentry.com/edging.html - both MDF and Chipboard with different finnishes and can apply a thick Edge that matches and would protect againts bumps.

Is this a good idea? Anyone done anything similar?

Sponsored Links
door blanks look fine to me make up a joiners rod to get door sizes
pin a piece of 2"x1"full length over the uprights ,mark the doors on the rod,then measure off that its too expensive to ***** it up
[/b]

Guys,

I'm just getting back to this, been working on other DIY.

Still to make doors and fit but found an issue when measuring for the doors. The uprights are not all level.
Whats the best way to fit the doors to keep them looking all level and even gaps? Can i fit the hinge in further from the edge of the door, this keeping the door level? Think this isnt possible as the door will then touch when opening?

nope every thing needs to be 100% accurate
you can pad out the hinges with individual pads per hinge or 12mm [or what ever thickness your doors are] the same width as the stud full length padded out at hinge points and others to level assuming you have a mdf facing to cover the gap
the doors must be off the ground at least 12mm [more if clearance requires it]

if the area isnt air tight to the outside you will need a more normal design with doorstops and seals plus locks

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Boarded roof with 6mm MDF.

Have you got any insulation in the roof slope? If not, your cupboard is likely to be very cold, and liable to condensation on the cold surface.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back