ebay Del-boys?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone bought something supposedly-genuine on ebay that turned out to be a knock-off? A knock-off so bad that you wondered "Did they honestly think I wouldn't notice?!" :confused:

I have a dirty little secret. It's an incredibly embarassing, heinous, dastardly secret... I enjoy... I enjoy watching 1970s sitcoms. Yup, I can't get enough of them. Man About the House, The Good Life, Bless This House, Are You Being Served, all that good stuff. I love the innocence combined with sexual overtones, it's great!

Now, this habit can be quite expensive. I tend to buy the DVDs. I could watch them on Sky, but unfortunately they are on during the day when I'm at work.

So this evening, idly browsing ebay. Surely someone has bought some such DVDs and has no further need? Well, a few have, yes. But then I noticed something a bit odd. There are pirates on ebay. I don't mean the type who buy the DVD and do a perfect copy. I don't even mean the joly fellows wooden legs who go "Aaaaargh!" and drink rum. No. These pirates do it from old VHS that they taped off the TV. According to feedback on "Man About the House" you even get adverts!

So, just wondering why Trading Standards don't go knocking on their doors demanding to know why they are making profit from stuff they taped off the TV. There's only a few of them, it's hardly a difficult task! I am of course, assuming they don't have permission to sell these DVDs.

I won't be buying any of the DVDs. In fact, I hope the shiny DVDs accidentally catch the attention of a magpie as they glint in the sunlight, who then flies down and pecks the pirate in the nuts really hard.

So come on, what's the worst knock-off you've bought in such a situation?

Sponsored Links
Nothing springs to mind, other than supposedly genuine Windows XP that very much isn't :(

However, since your mentioned Trading Standards, does anyone here know what they actually do?

I ask because the only times I've ever contacted them I'm told that they don't get involved in individual cases, but they merely log occurrences of problems such that when a threshold is reached action is then taken.

The name (of TS ) is bandied about willy nilly, on this forum and in life in general, but it occurred to me tonight that, without Googling, I have no confidence that they achieve very much.

I can understand the Trading Standards people's reluctance to act on individual responses as some people tend to use these organisations for their own agendas, to wait until there is a number of complaints then tends to give a more valid case for investigation.
People tend to go into threaten mode when angry or if they feel hard done by so probably leading to a lot of wasted visits by the standards authority in the past.

I bought a DVD (Walkabout - an Aussie movie). I bought it from an address in England via Ebay - yet the ptoduct was dispatched from China. I'm guessing it is a fake even though it has all the right stickers on it.

BTW, do you watch 'Love they Neighbour' and 'Till death us do part'?

joe

Sponsored Links
A few months ago I was on the verge of upgrading our accounts software at work, in fact I had already ordered the upgrade for nearly £300. Something prompted me to look for the same product on ebay where I found it, new, for £15 (but without box, manual etc). I cancelled the original order and the pirate copy worked perfectly.
I bought a pirate Autocad for about £20, saving myself about £2000, but that was from a dodgy geezer who insisted on meeting me in a carpark to do the deal!

hermes said:
A few months ago I was on the verge of upgrading our accounts software at work, in fact I had already ordered the upgrade for nearly £300. Something prompted me to look for the same product on ebay where I found it, new, for £15 (but without box, manual etc). I cancelled the original order and the pirate copy worked perfectly.
I bought a pirate Autocad for about £20, saving myself about £2000, but that was from a dodgy geezer who insisted on meeting me in a carpark to do the deal!

Did you pocket the difference?

joe-90 said:
hermes said:

Yes, why do you ask?

hermes said:
joe-90 said:
hermes said:

Yes, why do you ask?

Jus wundrin'

AdamW
dont worry , I would tape them 70 shows an post them too you if you want ?

oops just given away my ebay scam ..lol :)

hermes
its still stealing an its a very stupid thing to post on a net board you done this as well ..;)

Moz said:
hermes
its still stealing an its a very stupid thing to post on a net board you done this as well ..;)
:(

You're right, I'll hand them in at the police station tomorrow.

hermes said:
It's my own money in the first place!
Well then, that makes it all the more straightforward to determine that you are the person breaking both copyright law and infringing the software license terms.

And yet there seems to be some pride in the tone of your post - why would that be?

hermes
all I was inferring was ...
you say you stole , your ip is known here an if some nutter goes too that anti piracy site an bubbles you expect a visit at 6am ...

but since I see your using an anonymous ip number your safe right ..!!

Sponsored Links
Back