EcoFlam Oil Fired Boiler, Buzzing?

Do you have an old nozzle that was working ok you can try.

They normally get left near/inside boiler after a service.

Sponsored Links
At this stage, I'd have to say get the motor sorted first.....these don't have any brushes so tightness is usually due to a bearing problem, which isn't uncommon because of the temperatures they have to deal with.
A pressure test at the pump would confirm this.....pressures are typically between 100 and 140 psi.
John :)

Thanks everyone. I don't have an old nozzle unfortunately :( I'll ask the engineer I call out to bring a spare I can buy off him. Will get the pump pressure checked to see what it's at.

It's such a shame! I'm so close to it being workable whilst I await a new motor and cap! Sat here freezing just because of this stupid smoke issue lol But I'm glad I've got somewhere for the engineer to begin thanks to all of your advice so thanks for that.

Update - Engineer hasn't been able to come out to take a look yet so in the mean time I bought a new motor and impeller to fit. After completing the install of the new motor and impeller, I thought I would give it another quick try to see if it still smoked a lot.... it did, just as bad as yesterday. Switched off and am waiting for the engineer.

I noticed that the oil nozzle seems to weep oil, is that normal when the boiler isn't running? I'm guessing not. Maybe a check/one-way valve somewhere has failed. Any opinions on this are welcome.

Also, for anyone having difficulty removing the old impeller from an old motor, use plenty of WD-40 or teflon spray and then use a mechanical puller. Came off very easy using these two. Also, remember to use a tiny bit of copper slip or other high-temp grease on the shaft of the motor when you put the impeller back on to make it easier if you ever need to remove it again. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
The nozzle shouldn't drip oil when the burner is off.....is the firebox wet with kero?
When the burner is instructed to shut down, there may be a drip or two at that time, and no worries about that.
Some burners have a valve just behind the nozzle, but the vast majority are controlled by the oil pump solenoid valve which, on a new pump, should be perfect.
It will be interesting to hear what pressure your system is running at!
John :)

Update - It's now fixed!!!

Turned out the blast tube wasn't sitting correctly over the nozzle and electrodes! There are grub screws that hold that onto the burner that I had missed :oops: As a result, the blast tube wasn't pushed back far enough to expose the nozzle and electrodes. To be fair, the service engineer who serviced it last didn't put the grub screws back on properly which is why the blast tube slipped off in the first place!

It still sounds like there were other problems though as there was about half an inch of fuel on the floor of the firebox! That could've been the fuel hitting the blast tube and dribbling down though. I'll keep an eye on that to see if the oil pump solenoid is shutting off correctly. We sucked the excess fuel up and disposed of it before trying to fire it up.

This engineer also found that the previous service engineer (mentioned above) had fitted a 0.5 nozzle instead of a minimum of 0.6/60 that the manufacturers recommended! The fuel pump pressure wasn't too bad at 100psi but after changing the nozzle to a 0.6/60 the manufacturer says the pump pressure should be up at 120psi which is where we set it.

CO was reading a little high but that was likely the excess fuel burning off and making the gasses a bit rich, the longer it was burning the lower it was going. Will get the AFR checked again in a few weeks to make sure it's still burning correctly.

Just wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their help! Really restores your faith in humanity when there are still good people around, willing to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back