Economy 2000 modification ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I've got wet electric central heating on an economy 2000 tarrif that provides 18 'off-peak' hours of cut rate electric. All other electric runs is charged at an enhanced 'normal' rate.

I'm wandering if there's anything to stop me tapping into the off-peak side of the meter to run supplies to the dishwasher and washing machine - both of which, I'd be happy enough to run on a timer to coincide with the 'off-peak'.

Any thoughts on potential savings ??

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Tam

Sponsored Links
I'm wandering if there's anything to stop me tapping into the off-peak side of the meter to run supplies to the dishwasher and washing machine - both of which, I'd be happy enough to run on a timer to coincide with the 'off-peak'.
When you say tapping into the meter - do you have a separate CU for the off peak supply? Assuming the answer is yes then I can't see why you couldn't install a couple of off peak circuits. Or is E2000 only allowed for heating?

If you only have one CU then all circuits would be on the cheaper electricity once it switches over to E2000 anyway. In this case just plug in some timers as appropriate.

Certainly don't go 'tapping' straight into the meter! This definitely isn't allowed as it belongs to your electricity supplier.

Any thoughts on potential savings ??
Depends how much washing you do. :LOL:

Hi folks,

I've got wet electric central heating on an economy 2000 tarrif that provides 18 'off-peak' hours of cut rate electric. All other electric runs is charged at an enhanced 'normal' rate.
As far as I know, on tarrifs such as these, it is not allowed to run normal electricity loads on the off peak supply. Though I'm not sure how they could check.

See, on Economy 7, the whole installation flipped to off peak during the 7 off peak hours.

If you put up a picture of your mains intake, we'll verify whether it would be possible, and/or easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back