Economy 7 and storage heaters - help needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive me if this is somewhere in the forum but I have spent the last hour trying to find the answer to my problem at this rate I'll be here until sometime next week.

Problem: Before the flat was totally rewired everything was fine, I have just found out from a neighbour that her storage heaters remain on all day and night when they should only be on at night. The same company carried out the same job and guess what mine are connected the same way.

What is required so that the storage heaters only connect at night?

Who is at fault, the company or the supplier, or both and at the same time I had a new meter installed?

Since this was a couple of years ago who can rectify the problem because I'm now with a new supplier?

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo of your fuseboxes, meter, main service fuse and any other associated bits near there please?

It will give us a much better idea of how your setup is configured, and how you need to go about resolving the problem.

(Click on my signature to find out how to post photos)

CU is Wylex NHRS12SL
Meter Landis +Gyr ZCE527,1

Bare with me just installing camera software for photos

Sponsored Links
You would normally have a 2nd CU or a different type of consumer unit to what you have for E7, the meter doesn't look as though that is setup for E7.
And get them back and ask them to fill in those holes in the top of the consumer unit too :mad:
The shower cable is a mess too.
Where does the earth wire entering the top come from?

Can't make the cutout out - can see the earth terminal on the RHS.

To the left of the CU in the top two pics

<edit> oh, I see your point.

Might not be that bad then :LOL:

Can't make out if anything is missing - maybe if we ask nicely the OP will take another photo? :D

A dormouse has been in there, loads of chewed paper at the bottom near smoke alarm it gets in through the back of the cupboard by the earth you spotted before probaly try the smoke alarm out.

it has not been wired up to support Economy 7 heaters. Have a look at your electricity bill and see if you are being charged a peak and an off-peak rate, or if it is all the same price.

You might be able to make the meter display two "meter readings" if it has been set up for dual rate by pressing some buttons, but even if teh meter is dual-rate capable, the charging tariff might just add them together and charge you peak-rate for the lot.

Did you pay for the rewire/new CU yourself, or is it a rented property?

I reckon whoever installed the CU is to blame (unless they were instructed to do it by whoever placed the order), they must have known there was Night Storage Heating but they have not made any provision for it. If they had done, the electricity supplier would or could have provided a dual-rate supply, but as it is, there is nowhere they can connect it to (but there is another way of doing it depending on the tariff, but you will still need a new CU at the least).

The name of the CU installer will probably be on that red label.

The flat is rented from the council and the company involved are being investigated due to other jobs they have botched up.

I did not have to pay for the rewiring.
I live in a one bedroom flat, in total 5 rooms and it took them at least 11 hours on day one. They came back the next day to check out the job for a further 2 hours. Left a right mess, no decorating grant.
Its a two rate meter but I was thinking that the CU is not the right one. All the flats on this estate were done. Woman upstairs her bill for electric was in excess of £1000.

If I were you I would consult the Tenants Association or Citizens Advice, I reckon you have a claim for (1) putting it right (2) extra cost of electricity due to incorrect job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back