Economy 7 blip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our flat, the immersion heater on E7 doesn't appear to have kicked in overnight on just one occasion earlier this week, needing the top (boost) immersion heater to be switched on. All has been back to normal since. The storage heaters on E7 were turned off, so we don't know if it was actually the E7 (controlled by an old Sangamo/Schlumberger radio teleswitch c1989) at fault, or something to do with the immersion heater.

The switch is one of these:

What makes me think it might be the teleswitch is both immersion heaters and stats were new around four years back. Around a year ago, we had something similar happen on just one occasion too, which prompted me to put another new thermostat in the E7 immersion heater eventhough it tested OK. The teleswitch by comparison is over 30 years old and obviously has great big relays in, which switch the E7 loads.

Just wondered if anyone can shed any light on the reliability of these old things? Being radio based, and the device being in the meter box in the corridor outside the flat, it also made me wonder whether they very occasionally miss the radio signal to turn on (e.g. due to other interference). I also gather their future life is limited anyway and the same functionality is available in Smart Meters these days.

Given this is so very intermittent and the energy supplier might be a bit indifferent to any report with so little evidence, I was also mulling over if I could put something in place that might prove/disprove an E7 problem if this happens again during the summer months. The best idea I had was get an energy meter of some sort that keeps a history of usage - and rig that up on the E7 circuit with a dummy load attached just large enough to register on the energy meter. If it happens again, and there is no load registered at all, that would tend to confirm the teleswitch might be at fault.

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is the immersion switched directly by the teleswitch or do you have another timer

Well, we've just had two nights in a row where this fault has occurred again. Talk about intermittent! Unfortunately, the storage heater wasn't on again - so we still don't know whether this is the Teleswitch or not + looking at this device in more detail, I see that there is a 25A contactor normally for water heating, and an 80A for storage heating, so it's possible the fault is just the 25A contactor anyway. But it *looks* from the video above around the 3 minute point, like the contactors can be manually switched on for testing purposes using the red levers on each - if the security wires are cut on the lower see-through bit of the unit, and that panel removed. Anyone able to confirm that? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You might like to add an electric clock to the circuit.
@JohnD The problem is we don't live in the flat (or I'd have just got up early enough to do a quick check with my test meter before the E7 period stopped). It's my elderly mother-in-law living there there. So I was hoping to find some sort of energy usage monitor I could leave on permanently that has some sort of history so I can scroll back and check next time I'm there, if there's a problem, given how intermittent it has been.

But I'd not thought about a mains clock - and that would definitely help if the fault is going to be more frequent and/or has finally packed in. I'm sure I have somewhere one of those old electro-mechanical plug-in timers which I could wire across the immersion heater. All she would need to do is set it to midnight before she goes to bed and report back how many hours it has run the following morning.

My MiL put the storage heater on last night, and that HAS heated up, but it looks the water hasn't again. So we're either looking at a heater/stat/wiring problem, or perhaps the 25A contactor on the teleswitch.

Thanks.

Or it might be the thermostat in the immersion heater, especially if very old. They are usually very easy to change (no water plumbing involved in the thermostat) but post a photo of it after removing the plastic cap

Er........bit of a smoking gun this time, and obviously not related to the blips we have had in the past.

Stat has had a complete melt down internally on one side, and had gone open circuit - which is a bit of a surprise as its a Tesla branded one, and probably only about 2 years old. The screws were tight too, so no obvious reason why it has overheated.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• Stat.jpg
    Stat.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Personally I've not yet encountered the 25A contactor being used, the immersion simply being one of the circuits on the E7 cheap rate CU.
Come to think of it, you're probably right - I think there is a secondary CU. I'm back there tomorrow to finish sorting the fault out so I'll take the opportunity to document it all.

@SUNRAY Yup - just the 80A contactor feeding a small separate CU with two fuses in it - immersion heater and the one storage heater. The immersion stat fault is all sorted now, but I think I might see about getting the teleswitch replaced with a smart meter anyway, as I gather the teleswitch service is due to shut down in December 2023.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back