1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Replace an Economy 7 timer switch with a smart device

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Paulj250, 6 Jun 2020.

1. Paulj250

Paulj250

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Last year I had a new immersion heater installed and it came with an E7 timer switch. This year I’ve switched to an Agile electricity tariff and to take the best advantage of this I need a WiFi enabled smart timer/switch. The problem is that the current timer switch controls two heating elements, the E7 timer and a boost switch. I can only find smart devices that can handle one element.Does anyone know a smart device that could handle this or have any other reasonable solutions? Thanks

2. crystal ball

crystal ball

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I suppose the easy way would be to use two switches

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Paulj250

Paulj250

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. However, thinking about it I don’t need the ‘boost’ facility, it’s redundant with my new tariff. Can I just not connect the ‘boost’ heater element or do I need both connected?

5. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could just connect the lower main element and not bother with the top (boost) element. Obviously there is no way to use the upper element to heat a smaller amount of water quickly.

Or connect the lower element to the wifi switch and connect the top element to a separate 1 hour timer such as https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMSTBT4.html

Or fit a BX2000 connect both elements to it, wifi switch to the 'e7' input and permanent power to the other input.
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOBX2000.html
    That will allow a boost at any time, and if the wifi switch is on, it will override the boost and only power the lower element.

6. Sponsored Links