ECONOMY 7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I have economy 7 run by a dual meter and a teleswitch,I believe the teleswitch should activate the heater circuits and switch them off at the end of the cheap period.I notice that when the cheap period ends my heaters are still working on the daytime tarrif and there is no other form of time clock.My cu is the old fused type is the teleswitch wired wrongly or should I just get a time clock.

Sponsored Links
Don't take this as an insult, but just to check - Are they storage heaters? You're not just assuming they're turned on because there's heat coming from the vents, right?

Hi, they are storage heaters but they have been switched off at the spur on the wall and I decided to check that they worked.I switched on the spur so they would activate at night and storeup heat,but the neon light on the on off switch at the front of the heater lit up and heat started to come out.They are combination heaters but that side of it was unpluged from the mains socket,this has occured on all 3 of my heaters.It was obvious that power was getting to them becauseof the speed that the red light on the dual meter started to flash,I have tested them by switching on both a,m and pm well outsidethe offpeak periods.

If you're certain the heaters are wired into the teleswitch for use on the E7 period then you should call your electricity supplier. They should be able to arrange someone from the DNO to come and take a look at your installation and ensure the teleswitch is functioning properly.

Installing a time clock is an alternative, but it would have to be a job for a professional electrician. Whatever you decide, it would still make sense to have the meter + teleswitch checked out.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply,having read about the teleswitch on this forum it would seem that when the off peak kicks in my whole house goes on to e7,when the off peak kicks out the whole house goes back onto daytime tarrif but the storage system should be off,this lends me to assume that apart from the two tails leading from the meter to the fuse box there should be some kind of wired up cut out dedicated for the storage sytem,as there are no wires other than the meter tails entering the fuse box I naturaly think that somethingis missing.I have just replaced a heater with a new one this morning and it is giving offheat a I type at 11.28, I will get it all inspected bjut can you verify that there should or not be another wire other than the tails entering the fuse box from the teleswitch.

Assuming you have two consumer units, one for the house circuits and another dedicated to the heaters, then there wont necessarily be anything between the teleswitch and heater CU other than the tails. If you can provide a picture of the installation then we will be in a better position to give advice.

There should be a cutout to isolate the heater supply, but it's possible your installation doesn't have one.

what I have is a wylex fuse box, it has the old fashioned fuse system bluee white red etc which are wired fuses,the circuits for the storage heaters are 30 amp and are runing of the buzz bar just like the ring main,cooker,lights etc,sorry no pictures at the moment only moved in two weeks ago and I haven't fully unpacked so no camera.

MULEGIMMER said:
what I have is a wylex fuse box, it has the old fashioned fuse system bluee white red etc which are wired fuses,the circuits for the storage heaters are 30 amp and are runing of the buzz bar just like the ring main,cooker,lights etc,sorry no pictures at the moment only moved in two weeks ago and I haven't fully unpacked so no camera.

If they're running off the same CU/fusebox as the rest of the house and there's no timeswitch then they will most certainly be powered all the time.

Unless there's a timer somewhere you're not aware of then I can only assume the previous owner switched each heater on and off manually from the spur on the wall.

Thnk you for your help I will get a spark in and fit a time clock,but I will contact powergen they may fix it for free ha ha .

by the way,can you recomend a brand of timer that 3 seperate storage heater curcuits can be connected to

MULEGIMMER said:
by the way,can you recomend a brand of timer that 3 seperate storage heater curcuits can be connected to
No, use a relay/contactor. Or 3 seperate timers.

by the time you have fitted 3 timers, or one timer and a contactor, it would be cheaper are far more efficient to fit a 4 way CU and leave two tails ready for the dno to connect correctly at the meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back