Economy 7 water heater not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My economy 7 water heater is not heating water during the economy 7 period.
The storage heaters are working .
The water heater on 'boost' is working.
I have checked the Economy 7 fuse box and that seems in order ie the switch for the water heater has not flicked off.
My flat is on the first floor of a 12 storey council block. ( I own the flat so can't call in the council for help)
The water tank is marked ' Elson Maxistore Direct Electric Hot Water Tank with a 210 L capacity.
The immersion heater in the bottom tank is marked 'Type HS 3Kw 230-240V 50Hz'

I don't know if this is relevant so I am adding it just in case.

I recently had a problem with the ball cocks and so had both changed.

I then had a new bathroom put in and a new kitchen sink and taps. It was after this that I started to hear strange noises and the night water stopped heating.

The noises were , first a bubbling , gurgling in the waste of the kitchen sink then, a noise in the actual water tank which sounded as though air was being blown into the tank ie it sounded as though the water was bubbling in the storage tank. It wasn't boiling ie the water was cold, it was similar to blowing into a straw in a glass of water only louder. This lasted for several days and then disappeared.

Another strange thing that happened and has been ongoing for several months, and again , I don't know if this is relevant or connected, is that a irregular intervals during the day and night there is a noise as though someone is knocking on the ceiling - it moves from one place to another and every floor of the apartment building can hear it. Several people have complained that the person above them is banging on the floor because that is exactly as it sounds. It lasts a few seconds. The fact that it moves an can be heard by all tends to suggest air in the pipes and I suppose that is what it must be but it doesn't sound like that at all. It literally does sound as though someone is banging on the floor. It happens at all times of day and night.

So, please could you advise on what I should do with regard to my lack of night water heating and whether it is possible that the work I have had done , has caused the 'air lock' in the communal pipes.

Thanks you

Sponsored Links
It sounds like your bottom element has failed. Do you own a multimeter?

Ok I just watched a Utube video of how to use the meter. Please tell me what to do next. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Turn off all power supply to the cylinder and water supply.
Find the drain cock, fit a hose pipe and drain down........it may take a while.
Remove the wires to both elements and remove both elements, you might as well change both while your at it.
Go to local merchant and buy replacements Refit to cylinder, turn on water, remove any air locks and refit the wiring.

OR call a plumber.

Andy

I would use that multimeter to:

1. Check that voltage is actually getting to the immersion heater itself

and then

2. Test the element to check that it is has continuity and that the resistance is OK.

There's no point changing the element (or calling a plumber) until this has been done.

I would use that multimeter to:

1. Check that voltage is actually getting to the immersion heater itself

and then

2. Test the element to check that it is has continuity and that the resistance is OK.

There's no point changing the element (or calling a plumber) until this has been done.

Absolutely!
Reading through your first post I think there is a good chance that the stat is faulty and the overheat cut off has operated
If so..... that's a much easier fix

Matt

When replacing immersion elements, buy an Incalloy type as a replacement, they only cost slightly more than normal ones, but last many times longer - well worth the extra couple of quid extra purchase price. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thank you for all the advise. rather worryingly, I called the plumber who put in the new bathroom and kitchen sink and taps and asked him if he could replace the elements in the tanks and he said, 'not really, I've never done it before!'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back