Economy 7 Water Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I only need my Economy 7 Water Heater to come on at 6am until 7.30am as this provides enough hot water for two showers each morning and during the day we are out.

Can my timer be programmed as such? At present it either comes on at 12.30am or I have to get up at 6am to switch the damn thing on! (I switch it off the rest of the time unless we need the Boost for the odd weekend bath)

Failing that, can I buy a more flexible timer and have it installed?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Is the existing timer part of the supply companies equipment ? If not then if it is a standard 'off the shelf' timer it should be able to be re-programmed for the schedule you want.

Is the existing timer part of the supply companies equipment ? If not then if it is a standard 'off the shelf' timer it should be able to be re-programmed for the schedule you want.

Looks like a standard timer, but doesn't have any pegs to set it like an off the shelf timer for standard appliances, and inside there are just one blue and one orange pegs (on/off) but I don't think they can be moved. Or can they?

Sponsored Links
If you read the info on that link it says:

Direct replacement, using existing wall-box, for Newlec NLQE7, NLE7

Now, I am not that clever but I'd bet that NLEQ7 stands for "Newlec Quartz Economy 7"

sounds like you could use it

Perhaps this is pointing out the obvious, but are you sure that you'll actually be saving any money by doing this?

The heat loss of a modern, well-insulated hot water cylinder can be as low as 0.1kW/h. The thermostat will turn off the immersion heater as soon as the water in the cylinder is up to temperature, so given the minute amount of heat lost over the period of a few hours, it's going to take a while to pay back the cost of a new timer.

Also worth noting that the amount of energy needed to heat the tank from a given temperature will be more or less the same regardless of whether it's 12.30AM or 7.30AM, but your electricity may actually cost more later in the morning as you won't be heating it on the off-peak tariff!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back