ecoTEC plus 837 pressure problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The home I am currently renting has a ecoTEC plus 837 that doesn't seem to get adequate pressure to work for very long. I am constantly having to reset the system due to error F.22 and even then the pressure never goes above 0.6. My landlord insists this is normal, but the Vaillant book he left me says it should stay between 1.0 and 2.0. We have to reset the system an average of five times a day and we're really tired of it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You either have a leak on the ch system, water dripping out of the prv disharge pipe, or the expansion vessel is flat and when the heating is on the pressure is rising to above 3 Bar and then blowing out of the prv.

Whatever it ends up being, it is certainly NOT normal and should be investigated asap.

Don't pay your rent until the tight fisted landlord sends a proper RGI around to check.

This sounds to me like a flat on an upper floor where the water pressure is only just enough to fill up the CH circuit to the minimum pressure.

This is a very recent boiler.

It is possible with a little ingenuity to increase the system pressure to the correct value of about 1.5 Bar.

The F22 error may be caused by other factors than the low pressure but that should be sorted out first before coming to any diagnosis.

Your landlord is meant to have a Gas Safety certificate when its being rented out. You have to be given a copy of that. Do you have a copy?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Why are you playing with it anyway, phone it in as a breakdown, someone will soon get pi$$off. :LOL:

This is a very recent boiler.

It is possible with a little ingenuity to increase the system pressure to the correct value of about 1.5 Bar.

The F22 error may be caused by other factors than the low pressure but that should be sorted out first before coming to any diagnosis.

Your landlord is meant to have a Gas Safety certificate when its being rented out. You have to be given a copy of that. Do you have a copy?

Tony
----------------------------------
I haven't seen any Gas Safety certificate nor did I realize i was supposed to be shown one.

Why are you playing with it anyway, phone it in as a breakdown, someone will soon get p**soff. :LOL:

I was just following my landlords instructions for when the pressure drops. I shouldn't of ever had to do it because it's clearly a problem if the water pressure is fluctuating low enough to shut the boiler down over and over. He didn't think it was a problem, but I'm not sure he ever read the manual. After sending exactly what the manual says about the pressure to him, he is sending out a technician from Vaillant on Thursday. He probably thought he knew more about his boiler than he really did. It's fairly new and is most likely still under warranty.

I think that I am correct in saying that the F22 fault code is triggered by either-

Just a too low static water pressure as measured by the sensor.

OR

No change is pressure as measured by the sensor when the pump starts.

The second can be caused by a weak or stopped pump or dirt in the eye of the pump. It can also be caused by a build up of dirt in the water entry to the sensor.

Since these codes are generated by the PCB then in theory they can also be caused by a PCB fault although that would be rare.

I thought the "low" was triggered at 0.6 Bar although Dave says its only 0.3 Bar.

However, fun as this is to a boiler engineer, for a tenant its just a matter of getting the landlord to have it fixed.

Now, hidden above is a statement that the tenant has not had a copy of a gas safety certificate! That usually means that no test has ever been done which is against the law!

Tony

If the boiler installation is under a year old, no Landlord Safety Cert is required.

That would be nice.

We would get more jobs from Landlords though.

Actually, perhaps I'm not that keen. Working for Landlords is usually as much fun as piles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back