Ecotec pro 28 - pressure doing my head in!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had this boiler for a while and become a pro at both filling the pressure and releasing pressure over the years (mostly thanks to this site )

So my latest woe is:

Last week turned on heating, checked pressure all fine. Switched to timer for some morning heat, but nothing happened. Checked thermostat -fine. Checked pressure - fine.

Little square box under the boiler - no light on. Pressed this, heating comes on. But, heating still not worked on timer. Could be a timer issue!

Ran heating yesterday and noticed pressure went up to 3.1 - argh!
Released pressure to 1.4. Run heating agin, pressure goes up. Turn heating off pressure goes back to 1.4. Bury head in sand.

Run heating today and back up to 3.1. Realeased to 1.4, run heating for a few hours all good. Switch to timer.

Check boiler 15mins after timer due on and F.75 appears. Pressure dropped! Filled back to 1.4. Have a shower, run heating and 20 mins later back up to 3.1. Turn heating off, pressure is dropping again.

Any suggestions? Would bleeding all rads help? They feel fine?

Sponsored Links
When you turn your heating on the pressure will rise, as the hot water expands. Then when it cools it contracts!
Let the system cool down, then set pressure at 1.2 bar with all rads bled!

Cheers - the system was cool when filled to 1.4. It will normally rise to 1.8 /2.0 max. 3.1 was a nightmare. Will try an overnight switch off of the system, bleed rads get the pressure to 1.2 and then give it another go.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Thanks hertsboiler. Will try blessing the rads tonight and if that fails will go for your suggestion.

I had the same problem.

After a very long investigation......
Only suspecting this part while looking at the boiler......
Pressure went from 0.8 bar to 2.0bar when it was not running.

It was the actual pressure sender.
Nothing wrong with anything else, just giving false readings.

£20.00 for the new sender from memory.

One of these or similar......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAILLANT-...623825?hash=item5414a53391:g:XIMAAOxy7nNTP7HW

Good Luck.

Ian.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
So I have bled all the rads and topped up to 1.2 (thanks Prenticeboyderry). Turned on heating and within 15 mins pressure rose to 2.9 (ARGH!).

Went round an felt all the rads and whilst a few were piping hot, some were cold on bottom and hot on top and the rad in the front room is still cold. Looks like a power flush is needed as a definite, but would presume that that is not the core issue here :( time to call in the experts!

Thanks Unklian for the pressure sensor advice. I can only hope this could be the cheap issue.

If you have cold spots on the bottom section of the radiators, first thing to check for would be dirty water/sludge in the system.
Also it could be an air-lock.
A cold rad could be a number of issue, sludge, air, faulty valve, blockage or balancing required are a few!!!

thanks Prenticeboyofderry - I think this one is beyond my (very) basic diy skill set! Ho hum!

As already advised your Expansion vessell needs re-charged not a huge job and plenty of posts how to do it on here but please fallow all the steps so many just follow the ones that they want to do and that is totally useless

Expansion vessel recharge is part of the annual service and would alleviate a lot of your stress.
Probably £30 more than an mot for you car, both of which could kill you and you kids, but only one is a legal requirement.

You're rads are cold at the bottom due to sludge. You've filled and released the pressure so often, that you've got rid of all the inhibitor in the system. A power flush is an expensive waste of time, and it's far easier just to drain the system down, take the rads outside, and flush a hose through them whilst shaking them and tuning them upside down. And a really good plumber will also flush the pipework as they go along - not so easy as a DIY job.

Ah thank you guys. The not so expensive cost aspect of this is reassuring.

if I was physically capable of flushing the system myself I would, but that is not something I can do.

Services in early September from now on! Really appreciate all of the feedback

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back