Ederspächer Service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with what is done, when a heater is serviced? My son has an Ederspächer Hydronic D4 we have the installation guide and we have bought the service kit. If it breaks down then there is enough info to repair it. But with a service if we do too much we could I expect introduce faults.

I will guess we need to remove the whole heater and strip to some extent to clean it. But to what extent?

Sponsored Links
Is that a boiler or what? Never heard of that make. :confused:

Try Eberspacher. Space, and hot water heater fited to BT vans as well as caravans boats etc.
I will guess we need to remove the whole heater and strip to some extent to clean it. But to what extent?
That will really depend upon age, condition and amount of use it has received,

Sponsored Links
It is a water heater. I don't like word boiler as the water should not boil just get hot. It both supplies central heating and domestic water through a calorifier I would have called it a heat exchanger. They are very compact and use 12 or 24vdc control very common where hot water is required on vehicles and boats but Carver seems more common with caravans. There is both petrol and gas oil versions since they are not condensing they can't now be fitted in houses. And at 4.3Kw not likely to be big enough anyway. Click on picture for more info.

The installation instructions are freely available but not the service book which costs I think my son will buy one but in mean time I just wondered what was normally done on a service?

It may be a bit late by now but there is a good video of servicing a Hydronic D4/5 here:--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJygf2hGOuI&feature=related

He doesn't show removing or stripping the coolant pump though ( some don't have an internal pump, ie. those fitted to Mercedes Sprinters )

The coolant pump impeller seized on mine and needed cleaning. *Note* if removing the pump, be very careful when replacing the screws: if you don't get them in the thread right, they'll strip the plastic housing!

Some good PDF downloads on the American / Canadian 'Espar' website here:

http://www.espar.com/html/service/download/technical.html

especially this one which shows photos of it in bits:--

http://www.espar.com/documents/hydronic4_5.pdf

*note* the 'O' ring seal for the coolant pump motor is not available in the UK.

AAHH: just noticed that this is in 'Plumbing and Heating': perhaps it should be in 'Motor Vehicles' or somewhere more suitable for others to find the info: I just searched 'Eberspacher' and didn't notice where it was. Could the moderators move it?

Harvey

Still needs doing but now also has wood burning stove on same system so not as important.

AAHH: just noticed that this is in 'Plumbing and Heating': perhaps it should be in 'Motor Vehicles' or somewhere more suitable for others to find the info: I just searched 'Eberspacher' and didn't notice where it was. Could the moderators move it?

Not sure as this is a hot water not hot air type. Fitted to a narrow boat?

Oh yes! I forgot about 'boat use'. ;) Yes mine is a Hydronic 'wet' system in a motorhome. They do use them in motor vehicles for engine pre-heating or additional / faster warm up etc.

Anyway, if you do decide to do it I think the links I gave will be very useful: they were to me. Just be careful with it because if you break anything, parts are not cheap! and if you need any other tips just ask me: I am not an expert but I fixed mine after an Eber service agent failed to do. :D

If you are not relying on it and it has a fairly light use it may be as well to leave it alone unless it fails. I don't intend to be touching mine again for a few years, I hope.

Harvey

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back