Edging quartz worktop - diamond sharpening block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening chaps.

I’ve decided to change the top on my kitchen island, and have sourced a slab of quartz that I intend to use.

99A689DD-BA0C-4D89-A554-D4590C3AA534.jpeg

the sides are unfinished... but are smooth and just need polishing.

I would like to add a small bevel to the edges, as it’s quite sharp at the moment.
I’m sure I could use a diamond disc in a grinder, but would have little control over this.

I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are if I used a diamond sharpening stone (knife/chisel sharpener) as a sanding block... is this likely to work?

Was quoted over £350 for a complete slab finished... so far my off cut has cost £40.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes, they work. I sometimes have to use my diamond hones to polish out the edges of granite and slate tops (not often, mind).

Thanks guys... Sorry to be a pain... anyone suggest a starting/finishing grits?

Decided I also want to put some 50mm radius corners on as well, so will start with the angle grinder and tidy up.

Sponsored Links
How shiny do you want it? Corian-type semi matt finish is around P320 to P400, gloss finishes start at maybe P800 to P1000. You generally only see 4 grits, something like P320, P600, P1000 and P1200 in diamond hones (at least that's what my ITS ones came in)

High gloss is higher still and can be had using a polishing kit

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this.

it’s quite shiny on the top, but happy to have it less on the sides. I’m using this as an experiment to see what it comes out like... so didn’t want to spend lots on it.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back