Edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, ive been through all sorts of edging and i hate it all, plaster edging, cheap picket fence edging, bricks, connecting log strips, it got me thinking.

Can i not just use a straight piece of wood in the ground, it would look far far cleaner and more proffesional, i want to create a couple of gravel/plant areas and need to edge them off and i think a strip of wood would do just fine. Is it likely to rot if i get treated and cement them in?

Sponsored Links
Decking board would do, decorative and treated, will rot eventually, unless you go for the plastic decking, looks like timber but no rot.

I frequently use treated 4x1 and just screw it to 2x2'' stakes hammered in. Replacing it every 5 years is cheaper and easier than trying to concrete it in which will not really work.

Long term fix is a proper edging strip laid on a bed of concrete. These are reclaimed bricks set on 4'' of concrete. They will last 20 years + and look good for the whole time. (photo before pointing)

http://www.sjsmithhomeandgarden.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Reclaimed-brick-mowing-strip-2.jpg
Replacing every 5 years wouldent bother me at all, to be honest ill only be here another 3, so just hammer stakes into ground and screw boards into the stakes then build soil up to required level around the edging?

Sponsored Links
I used Everedge steel edging strips which work really well, especially for curved areas. Timber would work well though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back