Plastic edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

As edging between the soil and gravel path, we originally used 4x1 tanalised timer which I gave a coat of black wood preservative. Looks good when new but as it is rubbish, fast growing wood, it does not have longevity when in the ground.

It lasted about 5 years before I had to renew it all. Five years later, and not surprisingly, it is rotting again.

I am thinking of using this edging (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forever-Speed-Polyethylene-Plastic-10mx10cm/dp/B015MOW4CU/ref=sr_1_65?keywords=Metal+Lawn+Edging&qid=1677334050&sr=8-65&th=1) but not really sure.

Does anyone have great things to endorse it? Or even negative.

Vertically, how flexible is it? We currently have a 5cm difference in height from the gravel to the soil and I do wonder if the 2mm thickens will bend in time.

Grateful for any suggestions.

I am happy to use wood again but would like something that will last longer than five years!!!

Thanks and toodle pip

Sponsored Links
I don't have any knowledge of the Amazon offering but I have used the "Classic" version of this https://www.everedge.co.uk/ and found it to be strong, long lasting and easy to install. You can bend it easily to form curves or tight bends (bend it in the jaws of a workmate to get a tight bend), it blends in to the garden (they do 7 different colours, I use the brown version) it will separate different materials and different levels, it is available in 4 heights from 75mm to 150mm.

Thanks for the advice. I am uncertain about the Everedge because the areas I want to use are are not bed/grass but bed, gravel drive. And when the drive was laid, the build-up is crushed builders rubble, grade 1 scalping and then the gravel.

I can see immense challenges hammering the Everedge spikes into the ground. As the current rotten timber is semi-recessed, I can drag the drive material away to the base of the timber, but those spikes, ............!

I guess if necessary, I could grind off the spikes and only have a few to hold the edge in place.

More investigation is needed.

Toodle pip

Sponsored Links
My experience of plastic edging is, it degrades over time and if you use a strimmer it tends to crack and chip off.
If using wood I would use a dense hardwood, thoroughly treated with preservative and possibly put some form of dpc roll in place where it touches the ground/soil.

The dpc is a good idea. I had considered that in the past and not used it. Obviously, the wood rots due to the damp conditions and contact with the soil. I don't know but would there be any difference between damp soil in contact with the wood and dpc which will not allow water to drain away so easily? But what do I know?

Have just spoken with Everedge and I think cost will be a major factor if I am to replace all the edging. They are recommending the Titan edging, which does not have spikes but is more expensive at £41 per 2.5m. Then there is a minimum spend to get a reasonable delivery cost; as I would be under that minimum, the delivery is not cheap (plus VAT.)

The more I investigate, seems timber is the best cost option and just have to replace it again in X years time.

I've used that edging before -- it's rubbish. Looks great, but gets in the way and degrades over time through UV exposure. I now fully appreciate the beauty of a finely trimmed lawn edge using a sharp edging tool.

If you want to use a form of edging then timber is your best bet. I wouldn't bother buying all these special products at inflated prices, just get lengths of timber and coat in linseed oil (soak the cut ends). I have 9" x 2" pine (just old shuttering boards) used for some raised veg beds, cost me about £7 per length and has lasted 3 years. I'm confident of getting at least another 5 years out of it.

Thanks. I think the timber is the way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back