Gravel Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

I am getting organised to replace number of wooden fence panels that have been there for around 20 years a well past their sell-by date.

I have the panels which I will be giving a coat of Ducks Back before installing.

Having cleared away most of the earth / leaves / moss / twigs / ivy from the bottom of the fence, the current rubbish timber is of course, well rotted. So I am thinking of installing some gavel boards but con't plan to spend a great deal of money.

Gravel boards come as pressure treated. However, I have a number of usable joists (50 x 150 x 4m) from the build that have been under cover for the last ten years. I don't know if they were pressure treated but if they get a coat of wood preservative, is there any reason that I should not use them?

Basically, I'm wondering if joists (with wood treatment applied) is likely to be better or worse than gravel boards, which are already poor quality wood?

Thanks and toodle pip

Sponsored Links
Don't see why not. It's unlikely that the joists are treated - use can tell by colour - green or brown shade.

Best way to treat rather than brush on - build a trough which will take the joists, line with polythene or wide DPC and soak the joists for 24 hours or so.

Thanks for your reply. Don't think they were treated as they are neither green or brown, but they have been outside, (under cover) for so long now that any colour would have faded. Don't think I will build a trough but will give a couple of coats some kind of treatment. Have to change the car oil soon, so may allow some used oil to soak in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back